Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2d ISO view orientation from CATIA V4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtwo

Automotive
Oct 17, 2002
US
I have an isolated 2d isometric view in a catdrawing that I want to know what orientation it was projected. I am making a design change where I want to project an isometric view at the same orientation of the isolated view so I can superpose the two views. The original design was in V4 so I am working with legacy data.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are correct drewmumaw. An "ISO" view can be created by projecting a view at any orientation in the 3d space.

I don't know the answer off the top of my head since I haven't imported V4 data in a long time. Hopefully someone else on eng-tips.com will comment. Maybe I can generate a few approaches though.

I don't think there would be any information in the V4 view to help you. Maybe you could use existing geometry in the view to try and calculate the orientation in 3D space that the view was taken in. Do the parts share a common origin point? Could you export the V4 view into a sketch in the 3D model and try to align it using constraints? Also, have you tried using a named view and plugging in the origin coordinates?

10-6-2016_2-07-27_PM_rm2c3m.jpg

Drew Mumaw

May I suggest replacing the old view with a brand new ISO view in V5 that is the same as (or very close to) the V4 view. Then you know what you have, and can easily create the superimposed view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back