Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

2nd Floor Cantilever Area Shear Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supun93

Structural
Nov 28, 2019
LK
I have a 2 ft cantilever floor in my ADU. How can i transfer shear loads from that cantilever wall to ground floor shear wall. We have a 2 ft overset. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use the floor diaphragm. It may require reinforcement through blocking or a double sheathed design, but that's you to determine based upon the loads that need resolved.

What does your local code tell you? In the US, we would reference the NDS SDPWS for capacities and detailing, but if you're outside of the US, you'd want to find the applicable code requirements and checks for your specification detailing situation.

To add some more context, the blocking provides load transfer from panel to panel, so generally speaking flat 2x_ material is the blocking of choice for most blocked wood diaphragm applications.

Drift is spot on as well, you'll need to check for torsional loading with a semi-rigid approach to determine stresses in the diaphragm and appropriately detail if/where blocking is required. With a 2ft cantilever however, I would not expect significant requirements, the IRC may even allow that short of a cantilever diaphragm with braced wall lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back