Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3-button Mouse in SW 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMango

Mechanical
May 1, 2001
US
I have a co-worker that hase his 3-button mouse set-up for Double Click. This works in every program he has except for SW.

Has anyone been able to set-up a mouse for Double-clicking in SW? It is an older Logitec MouseMan. Are we missing something in the SW options?

Ray Reynolds
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My double click button (thumb click) works fine in SolidWorks. I haven't had to do anything special to get it to work. It is a MS Intellimouse Explorer (or some such thing). I used to have a Mouseman (which I prefer ergonomically) but I couldn't find an updated driver for it when I went to XP. Maybe your problem is driver related. Are you just using a generic logitech driver? Wait a second...that may be why I don't use that mouse anymore: Thumbclick not working and no longer available driver. If you figure something out, please post. I would like to use that mouse again.

Matt

Oops, the button in question could have been helpful, huh? I was talking about the middle button.

Ray Reynolds

MadMango,

I have a 3 button Logitech button here and I love it.

What is supposed to happen when I double click the middle button?

JHG

Sorry for the confusion that has surfaced. The problem is a co-worker would like to set-up his middle button (on a 3-button mouse) to perform a double-click when it is clicked once.

I totaly forgot to check the drivers.

Ray Reynolds

MadMango,

I believe that is called Key Mapping. I haven't tried it.

On my system, the middle mouse button is used by SolidWorks for rotating, panning and zooming. It all depends on what I do with the shift and Ctrl keys. I find this extremely convenient. I am frustrated when I use a different computer and the middle click is intercepted for something else.

If you show this feature to your co-worker, he will want to continue double clicking with the left button.

JHG

I have a Logitech mouse that I use.

I use driver version 9.79

If I change my middle mouse button to Double-Click and keep "Disable Acceleration in games" unchecked. The middle mouse button when pushed still only Rotates the part.

If I change my middle mouse button to Double-Click and Check mark "Disable Acceleration in games". The Mouse moves verrrrrrrrry slow across SW (only in SW, in windows the mouse moves fine). This is a bug IMO, but it's been here for many driver versions of Logitech mouse drivers. But still when the middle mouse button is pushed the part simply Rotates.

So I don't think the Double click is going to work in SW. Maybe there is a way to set it up as a Macro? Personally I would get a 5 button mouse (MS intellimouse Optical) and program the other buttons to a double click. I have one like this for my Laptop and I love it. I don't use the 2 extra buttons for double click. I use them as back and foward in browser when surfing the web.

Regards.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [bdaycandle] to me

If you are in the SW Forum Check out the FAQ section

To make the Best of Eng-Tips Forums FAQ731-376

Double-click works for me (SWX 2004/Logitech Mouseman). Useful in sketching (terminates a line and starts a new line). Updated mouse drivers should fix the issue.

For panning, zooming and manipulating parts in an ass'y, I use a Cadman. This device (or similar) will pay for itself in no time and eliminates a lot of clicking.

Maybe the issue is becasue the double middle mouse button has mapped functionality in the SW environment?? Double MMB on an edge and the model will spin about that edge (works on faces and points as well.)

Just a thought?

Daniel

The Logitech drivers think that SWX is a game. Gamers don't generally want acceleration or different button assignments while playing a game. The Advanced Settings utility lets you override this behavior. This lets you get MMB double-click working.

Thanks for the input folks. I've forwarded your comments to my co-worker, and will let him decide how he wants to proceed.

Ray Reynolds

I have had a day to work to with the new MouseMan driver. The movement across the 20 inch screen makes me lift the mouse up at least once. Does anyone else know how to set the mouse to move across the screen with smaller movements?

Bradley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back