Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

3-D to 2-D conversion 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcg4403

Bioengineer
Nov 29, 2000
US
I always draw in 3-D but need to convert my 3-D file into a 2-D file. The face or main feature in my design needs to be in 2-D so I can import in into CimCad for a g-code conversion. Anyone know how do to this? Seems like it should be very possible. Steps?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

if you draw in solid from autocad with rel 14 or 2000
use command "solprof" to create a 2d view, or I can e-mail a lisp program to draw over you existing lines and remove the Z value.

I have two different lisp routines that will "Flatten" your drawing. Both of these routines basically set all Z values to zero. Email me if you want a copy.

To Danno and thecat
I have converted Unigraphics models to Acad14 models.
Now have to change to 2d for detailing dimensioning, etc.
Would appreciate lisp programs.
Thanks.

Al Kirby
askkkf@avci.net

Please send me a copy of any "flatten" lisp routines you have. I am having a bear of a time with a couple of drawings. Thanks. Send to markw@fgmarch.com

With ACAD2000 Express Tools you have a command for "flatten" 3D entities. You can download the Express Tools package from AutoDesk site.
Cheers

I have Express Tools in ACAD 2000, but I think it's what got transferred from R14. I went to the AutoDesk site to download the latest Express Tools, and it looks like they have decided to stop giving it away.
Where can I get the Express Tools for ACAD 2000? The Express Tools that I have does not have the function that you mention.

Feel free to email me at dmartin@carrollconsultants.com

Or if you know the URL of a site that I can download it at.

I don't think the Flatten Lisp routine works in AutoCAD 2000. The way I convert a 3-d drawing to 2-d is to use the move command. Select the object to convert and use the Move command. Move the object from 0,0,0 to 0,0,1e99. Use the Move command again, this time moving the objects from 0,0,1e99 to 0,0,0. This will reduce the z ordinate to 0 i.e. a 2-d drawing.

Other way (with ACAD2000) is "editing" the Z coordinates with the Properties dialog. Previously you must select a entire or part of drawing, open the dialog, and then force the Z coordinate to 0.
Cheers

We use a different approach: Since we need to take advantage of AutoCAD's hidden line algorithms, we plot to an HPGL file and use lisp to read that file and "redraw" a new 2D drawing with hidden lines removed. AutoDesk has really neglected the ability to create 2D drawings from 3D drawings in my opinion. All of the code is there, all they have to do is create a "PLOT TO DWG" option (no, not DWF or DXF like in previous versions...that's not good enough).

ok i thought this might be helpfull
in acad 2000 after you have the plotupdate you have an option to plot to dxb you could then look or use 3d rotate to turn your view or use the preset views in the view>3dviews> pulldown and have options for tope bottom left right front back then do a plot to dxb then turn around and goto the insert pulldown and import the dxb just as you would a block also plotting to a dxb can be helpful to convert to a different format like say if you need to give someone a printable version of your drawing but dont actually want them to have the full drawing print to a dxb instert it into a new drawing and save as a .dwg or .dxf depending on what you are trying to convert to say for microstation/other cad products

Danno,
One of the previous engineers here made a mess of the dragings in the z coordinate, I would love to have a copy of your "flatten" Thanks, Ed
Ed.Schneidewent@exelonunderground.com

I would also like to have a copy of the file to "flatten" a drawing.
I use ArchT and AutoCad 2000 on Win 2000 it has a routine to draw all four elevation and in an older and more reliable version (but not compatable) it analysed the lines and took the elements that were basically the same line and created one line in 2d but the latest version segments that line ie a wall with a window shows a break in the wall over the window where the header is. and therefore 2 segments for a top of wall line.

Anyone else use ArchT?

Byron

Have been working for a while with 3D drawings.
Have since found two ways to convert to 2D (both are listed above actually but here's my take on it )

The first using the solprof command.
Good for isometric views but does not work in perspective views.
The second using save as DXB file commeand works for both isomeric and perspective views, but i notice that the files saved in DXB tend to have small 'balls' of lines , maybe this could be beacause of errors in the 3d buildings

want to try the lisp method

Please send me a copy of any "flatten" lisp routines you have. Send to daniel@akiworld.com

Regards

Maybe I don't understand necessity for flattening 3D model in your case, but when you already done 3D model, why don't you just use Paper Space and Viewports. You can get any view you want, and if you need print, just use HIDE option to get workshop drawing.
Hope this will help you!
Regards!

I use 3d solids for creating buildings, with each element(terrain, excavation, column base, plinth,etc) in a seperate layer.Then any view port can be seen and plotted, by putting of and on relevant layers. for each relevant view you can insert an extra layer for dimensioning.
Hope my "greek and latin" is understandable.
Happy Easter to all of You

My need have been the same, having received a 3D drawing, wire frame model including blocks and x-refs, NOT SOLID,I need to extract one particular view of that 3D model and create a separate, completely stand alone .DWG 2D file from that view. The new 2D drawing forms details for many other parts. Because the drawing is not a solid, I cannot use SOLdraw Solview.
Explode the 3D drawing, ,detach X-refs, copy and paste to a new drawing file and then use Flatten.lsp is the only way around it-so I believe? any comments suggestions will help.

Not sure ... hmmm ... but what about 3DSOUT then doing a 3DSIN ... since the SOLdraw/ SOLview don't work.

Also since XREFs are the issue ...
I would try to plot to a DWF or WMF or DXB or DXF ...

Hope one of those help.
Rich [rednose]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back