Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3-D to 2-D conversion 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcg4403

Bioengineer
Nov 29, 2000
US
I always draw in 3-D but need to convert my 3-D file into a 2-D file. The face or main feature in my design needs to be in 2-D so I can import in into CimCad for a g-code conversion. Anyone know how do to this? Seems like it should be very possible. Steps?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Danno and Thecat,
I am keenly interested in your flatenning Lisp routings.
Please kindly send them to me at egbetoks@yahoo.co.uk
Keep making the world a better place.
Thanks
Toksbig

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the use of soldraw in paperspace (layout tab, nowadays) to convert any view desired to a true 2D view with no overlapping lines (ex: solprof). Soldraw (and the older less preferred solprof) create these views easily, but only from true solids, not surface 3D. You DON'T have to create an entire drawing in "Layout-Tab" if you don't want to. Also, the DXB approach above is one good approach after you've done all of this. Instead, however, I use copy-clip to transfer the resulting 2D lines to an empty target drawing (actually, I've mastered "Paper-Space" and make extensive use of "Layout-Tabs", but that's for a later post...).

Any questions- re-post here. More serious inquiries? Go ahead and contact me at cfee01@yahoo.com. I'll "talk" you thru the steps and issues you'll encounter.

Any of the Flatten LISP routines will do a good job of returning the Z-Axis points of simple lines to Z=0, but be careful to orient the view you want, to "parallel" to UCS-World. You'll also have to explode the solid twice: 1ce- to surfaces 2ce- (window) all surfaces to lines. Then run your flatten lisp routine.

If you're looking for a good front-end for NC-programming, there are a couple on the net that aren't expensive, but you'll probably outgrow them pretty quickly. That's ok. Just follow that up with a call to your CAD dealer for his (her?) advice. They'll have some good PROFESSIONAL solutions for you to consider. They're not cheap, but some are very affordable, and will meet your needs.

Good Luck!

Hallo thecat and Danno,
I will be highly appreciated if you drop me your lisp programs to convert 3D drawings to 2D drawings at:
doctec@terra.com.br
Best Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back