Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 direction spring in ansys workbench

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIROAMIRO

Aerospace
Aug 29, 2016
EG
thread569-364699
Hi. I was using combin 14 element in ansys apdl to model the bolt connection. This element uses the stiffness values in x y and z directions. Now i ve to remodel my FE model in ansys workbench, i can't find any element that resemble the combin 14. I was thinking about the bushing joint but i discovered that i will not be able to parameterize the stiffness values.. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Miroamiro,

If your springs are to be constrained on one side, you could try to use longitudinal spring. When you set the locations of the spring, click one point at your structure and define the second points as slightly off in the direction in which you want the spring acting. Let's say your acting point (the structure point) is at 0,0,0, then define the second point of your spring as 100,0,0 in order to have it to act in X direction.

If you are connecting 2 points then I don't have good advice. Perhaps just add a snippet with COMBIN14 but as you said, you won't be able to control it with WB parameters. Unless you trick ANSYS by reusing some of your (can be dummy) parameters, somehow extract the value and reuse it in your spring definition :)

Good luck!

Pavel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back