Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 GB switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasH

Structural
Feb 6, 2003
SE
Hi all

I think I have read in this forum that there is a 3GB switch in Windows. What I'm after is to make a single application able to use more memory.

Can anybody help me with a sourse for this info sinse I can't find it myself.

Regards

Thomas

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Basically nothing.

But I've read about this possibility in this forum, I think. That's why I post the question here.

Or we could say, does anybody know if there is a way to make xxx adress more than the 2 GB limit in Windows?

I don't mean step on anybodys toes but I think this subject has been discussed before, I just can't find that tread.

Maybe somebody else can.

Thomas

A quick google search yields:-

Windows XP Professional

The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB, unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file. The following example shows how to add the /3GB parameter in the Boot.ini file to enable application memory tuning:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="????" /3GB

Hello to all I am using a 3GB switch.with NEi Nastran

Blow is how to switch your Win Xp OS to take advantage of 3GB of memory. there is more info in the following link from microsoft, but all you relly have to do is add "/3GB"
at the end of the last line in the boot.ini (tis is a hidden file-to see it, go to: explorer/tools/folder/options/view/and un tick tthe "hide protected operating system files "field.
what i recommend is to copy the last line to a new line and add the switch to that line, then when you boot up you will get a choice of which memory setting to use.
below is a copy of my boot.ini

[boot loader]
time out=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP 3 GB version" /3GB

it works with the latest version of NEI nastran.if you dont have it use the automatic update function to download it

if your computer dose not boot up with this switch see the folowing link.

Hope it might help.

Archie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back