Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3-phase motor and VSD 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestboy

Electrical
Jan 11, 2006
ZA
I kindly need your input on a project I am doing, pardon me for the long text.
I have 2 furnaces with a common fume-extraction-duct. The duct split in to two (like a ‘Y’) and a fan is fitted on each split for the purpose of redundancy. The fans sit in the ducts but shafts, mechanical torque converter and 1 speed 3 phase D.O.L (direct-on-line) motors sit outside.
A controller compares atmospheric pressure to the pressure in the ducting and commands the mechanical torque converter to drive the fan slower or faster so as to cause a flow of fumes from the furnace to the atmosphere.
I need to upgrade this system by replacing the torque converter with a V.S.D. that will control the speed of the motor. Pneumatic controls will also be replaced by electrical signals. The main purpose of doing this project is because we can’t get spares of the torque converter. The pneumatic loop is also susceptible to leaks and the present motors were poorly selected – open motors instead of closed motors. Besides, this system is 40 years old.
The current motors are rated at 380V, 15KW, 30A, and 960RPM. The fan operation speed ranges between 540RPM to 870RPM.This is a high mass/high inertia fan by design so as to coup with the chemicals and temperatures in the fumes.
Although the current motors are working properly, we can’t just duplicate their sizes because we are going to take out the torque converter that is sitting between the fan and the motor and all what we will be left with is this heavy fan, shaft and VSD controlled motor. We are also not sure how the motor sizes were determined – the designers might have made a mistake (lower or higher) simmilar to the one they made of selecting an open motor instead of a closed one.
We are in doubts as to how to size of the motors and whether the VSD will be able to perform as good as the variable torque converter is.
An engineering manager wants us to use fan-curves characteristics as a guide. I say this are not an ordinary fans i.e. low starting torque and high torque at high speed - therefore characteristics of an ordinary fan will not apply.
A mechanical engineer wants us to wrap a rope on the shaft a couple of times, pull it to turn the shaft, with a clock on his hand. Then he will work with time and length of the rope and the thickness of the shaft to determine momentum. I said that is a joke.
I suggested that we determine the torque in Nm then multiply it by 960RPM then divide the product by constant 9550 to determine motor KW but I have not been able to convince anyone. What I am not sure of is what to do with this KW. All what I know is that this is the pull-out power required, after that the fan will require little power to move it. We also know that the VSD will mitigate the starting torque but we can’t put all this facts together. This is a critical part of the plant so accuracy is paramount. If this system fails we will loose about US$500,000 a day and hopefully no employees.
May some one kindly shed some light.
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

My feeling is that you want to "calculate" instead of measure. In this case, all the measuring equipment is there - right before your eyes.

For one thing, measuring absorbed power is easy. Just measure the motor absorbed power at highest fan speed and highest flow. That will include losses in your variable torque converter so it will give you some head-room.

Secondly. You know that your fans will run at 870 RPM. So a base speed of 960 RPM will be fine. 960 RPM indicates six pole motors and 50 Hz mains.

Finally. Your 15 kW motors can do the work today. So they should be able to do the work tomorrow. I would buy 15 kW 960 RPM 400 (or 380) V motors, 15 kW inverters, reactors and filters as needed, install and run.

If there is any concern as to the role of the torque converters - they may be constant power action - then increase needed torque from motor with 960/870, which is about ten percent and indicates that a 18 kW inverter and motor will do the job. The cost difference is very small. At least when compared with the cost of lost production.

And, yes. Your "clankey" is probably joking. At least I hope he is...

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

I am not the fan-motor guy but as an observer I would say things may have changed dramatically in the last 40 years and that there may be much better air movers/handlers and more efficient ones. It may be that you could do the job well and save a bunch of energy too.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Thanks Skogsgurra and itsmoked for the worthy replies. Itsmoked, idea of a new fan is non-stater option because of how complex the ducting system is and the time it will take to do that. We can't have this system OFF for too long thats why we have two - one on stand-by.
Skogsgurra:- I am not opposed to measuring, I want to do both so that one will prove the other one right. My main concern is not the highest speed (like a normal fan) but at start. As I mentioned the fan is so heavy so it starts like a loaded conveyor belt. The present torque converter starts the fan at the lowest speed and low torque and then increases the speed as per demand. I want to believe that I will be able to do this by setting the VSD to run that way. This is where I mentioned that it disobeying the normal fan-curve characteristics. Any comment on the torque/speed characteristics?
The other point is the reactors and filters you are referring to, are they not incorporated in the VSD?
Lastly this mechanical guy us not joking, he is so serious in what he is saying.
I feel comfortable to go with your suggestion of 18kW.

There was a recent thread on one of the forums describing a method of measuring inertia with a rope around the shaft. I don't think that it was a joke.
Why don't you co-operate with the mechanical guy instead of opposing him. You may learn something, and you will probably get better co-operation from him the next time that you need it. His findings should agree with your findings.
Re the fan curves. The high inertia is only a factor when accelerating or de-cellerating. At steady speed the fan curves will apply.
I think that gunnar is right on in his suggestion that you base your calculations, measurements and motor selection on the existing motors.
respectfully

You need more than length of the rope to determine inertia. You also need to know the force. One way of doing it would be to attach a known weight to the rope and measure time and length. It will certainly work - at least if static friction is low and you do not reach speeds where wind friction gets important. The results of such excercises are dangerous to apply blindly and usually results in oversized drives. Mostly because of static friction (oil film needs speed to build up) having a lot of influence.

But your concern is not inertia per se. You will always be able to start a fan wheel using a VFD. They are very good at that and are sometimes used nore for their good starting abilities than for speed control. In your case you'll have both benefits. Can't be any better.

Reactors and filters are sometimes - but quite seldom - built into the VFDs. You have to check this with the supplier and also local electric code.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

I guess I don't understand the necessity for doing all of this. One thing you might want to keep in mind is to not assume that the original design engineer made a mistake. It may be that he over sized the motor and/or chose an open design because of the heat involved. If it lasted 40 years I'd say he did a good job! It could be that his only error was in not documenting his reasonings, but that happens a lot, especially when a manager has his thumb on you to complete a project and move on to the next (been there, done that!). It could even be that he did document it 40 years ago, but that information is just lost.

You upgrade project can be validated without so much deep involvement in discovering the original philosophy IMHO. I would replace the motor with one designed for inverter duty AND designed for harsh environments as well. Replacing the torque converter with a VFD is going to save you energy in this situation because you will eliminate the significant losses in the torque converter, so that will eventually pay for the cost of the upgrade. I would also use at least the same size motor as what was used in the original design, that way you save yourself the embarrassment of second guessing the original designer and discovering that he knew something that you didn't think of. By using the VFD it will only use the energy required by the load demand anyway, so oversizing the motor (if it is) will cost you very little in terms of extra magnetization losses and even then all it will do is extend out the payback period.

JRaef.com
"Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems." Scott Adams
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Thank you all for the good suggestions and assistance. I will surely give you an update after installation in May. God bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back