Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

3-Phase Squrrel Cage Well Pump Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgEng02

Electrical
Apr 1, 2003
US
I'm a recent graduate and I specify well pump motors in new water plants along with replacements after they fail. My company in past few years is having numerous problems with the well motors failing within 5 years, while in the past the motors could last up to 25 years. The motors are used are in the Greater Houston, Texas Area, so the coastal environment is harsh along with Houston's pollution. I'm looking for the best quality at the best price in motors. I'm looking for information on motor manufacturers, heat rise, insulations, enclosures, monitors, heaters, starters, and cost. Any info will be helpful.

Greg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are these premature motor failures on Siemens motor? We have had major problems out of their WP enclosure motors in the Louisian/Texas region and they are working (have worked) with us to come up with a reliable design. Toshiba makes a very good motor; we have a cooling tower with 7 300HP TEFC all aged 20 years as an example. They start and stop often and the cooling tower drift is very corrosive. Continental used to make good motors; some of ours have run for 40 years. GE, Reliance (now) and TECO make good motors too. The humidity and salt laiden air of the Gulf Coast region require a properly specified motor for good reliability.

If you want long life in the Gulf Coast region, make sure you specify heaters and a totally enclosed design with copper bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back