Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

3 Sided Surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbarea

Mechanical
Nov 21, 2002
US
I am looking for suggestions on how to create 3 sided surfaces. What commands I could try? Any special technique or procedure I should look into? Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would only have to be non-manifold if the sides were flat.
You could sew 3 non-flat surfaces together or trim a block to such surfaces. There are many ways to do it, but the question is too vague to help much.

N-Sided surface might work as well, but like Chris, I feel that Through Curve Mesh or Studio Surface 1X2 probably would return much better results. You can only create a Studio Surface if you have a Shape Studio license.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Here is a couple of threads from days gone by on this subject. I make no guarantees on their usefulness.

thread561-101760
thread561-90034

Feadude:

I do not mean a non-manifold part. I am trying to create a surface and then thicken it.

Ewh:

I will try to explain better bellow.

Vikingbro:

I tried a Studio Surface 1x2 and a Through Curve Mesh (with the first Primary String being a point). Since in both cases the isoparemetric lines in the v direction flow into a single point; there is a kink in the surface at this point, which prevents me from thickening the surface.

Nkwheelguy:

You are right, I tried the N-Sided surface, but the results were not good, the surface is not smooth and it can not be thicken.

Cowski:

Thank you for the information.

Everybody:

I will try to explain better. I am trying to create a close ended surface, which I am going to thicken. What I mean by close ended, is that my guides and sections (or primary and cross) strings are tangent at four points. If I create a single surface, the quality of the surface at these tangent points is poor because the u-v lines are flowing into a single point (singularity) and the resulting surface can not be thicken. If I divide the surface in patches, I end up with patches that do not have 4 sides; these patches have the same problem I just described. Is that clear as mud or what? Thank you all for your suggestions. Let me know is there are any other suggestions.

Again, hard to imagine without seeing your part. I believe I understand the 3-sided concept, but your second description has me totally lost regarding the patches. Did you try creating a good quality surface (like what you'd get with Through Curve Mesh using a point as the very first primary string and assigning tangency at the point as well as along the 3 sides)? If that still won't thicken, try Extracting a B-Surface from the TCM & then thickening the B-Surface.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back