Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

3-Story Concrete Residence - steel pan, I-beams, or pre-stressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolf In MA

Structural
Mar 18, 2024
US
Hi all,

Designing a 3-story residence, all concrete (likely cinderblock w/ poured/ reinforced cores).

Floors/roof will be poured, but considering 3 different options for substructure:

- Corrugated 'bridge deck' steel pan;

- Steel I-beams w/ steel arch pans between;

- Pre-stressed concrete beams w/ either arched steel or arched ferrocement panels in between.

Concerned about loads, especially on the first floor. Flat roof, thin earth load, plus significant rain/ some snow, coastal Cape Cod.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Rolf in MA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For a 3 storey building, I would likely stay away from pre-stressed concrete. Can you use HC slab?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Really would need to understand floor pan level constraints to optimize the structural system here. You said all concrete but then proposed some steel framing options. How about 2 way conventional slab plate?

I see a lot of concrete core walls, with composite steel framing and concrete over metal deck for this size building around here.

Hollow core slab is a good suggestion, but crane access to the site may be problematic.

Composite steel/ crete core walls may be overkill for this application. But I have used pour over metal deck before for one and two story buildings. Not sure how well it will carry three levels.

The design complicates things somewhat - north and west wall are stacked but south and east sides step back, so that each level is smaller than the one below. Which results in some mid-span loading.

Hence the consideration of heavier steel or prestressed concrete for the lower level(s).

I think conventional 2-way slab may add more weight than support. But a voided 2-way slab may be able to carry loads AND not add too much weight.

Thanks for the replies!

If site access is difficult, whatever system may have serious cost issues... good luck. You might be looking at composite deck and steel for ease of access. Depending on the layout engineering could be interesting.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back