Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

3 Wythe Brick Wall Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheels77PE

Structural
Jan 17, 2015
US
Working on a project that involves removal of a 3 wythe brick wall. Contractor wants 2 steel beams side by side (for wall removal and installation purposes). Is it common engineering practice to assume the weight distribution will be even across the 3 wythe? i.e. each beam will receive half the calculated load.
If the wall is 12" wide, and the birds mouth for the rafters sit on the outside 4" brick, is the roof load concentrated in that 4" line? Similarly, would the inside 4" brick receive the majority of floor load?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends n the bonding pattern of the brick and if the wall is a composite 3 wyth wall or wall made of separate wythes that are not connected by masonry units or a solid "collar joint".

A properly bonded 3 wythe wall can act as a single solid masonry element. In this case the wall load will behave differently because of the inherent bridging strength due the bond pattern. It depends on what your "calculated" load is. - A uniform load is conservative.

The normal assumption of 45 degrees in masonry usually conservative. - Don't worry about the mortar strength since it is usually not a factor in the strength of a masonry wall pane.

Your contractor has made a proper suggestion.

Dick

Engineer and international traveler interested in construction techniques, problems and proper design.

Thank you for your reply. The original house plans do not specify the type of bonding. I had the Contractor weld a steel plate to the outside bottom flanges of the two steel beams to have them act in conjunction. I will have Contractor verify the wall construction in the field. Thanks again.

Dick,

In your reply, you stated that The Contractor has made a proper suggestion (with installing two beams side by side). He will be building a temporary wall to support the floor loads (as with any bearing wall removal). Are there any other construction precautions that need to be taken for the stability of the brick wall? It is an exterior wall. I have never inspected this type of wall removal but I am picturing a jack hammer beating away. Is that typically the way the brick wall is removed?

Wheels,
Here is a video of some brick wall demo with installation of twin steel beams, for your entertainment. The action starts around the 16 minute mark.
The gears in your engineer mind will be spinning as they cowboy away.
If you watch the whole video you'll see some more great cowboy examples.
Then if you're like me you'll go down the Bob Villa You Tube rabbit hole and start watching the whole dang series. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back