unemployedengineer

Electrical
Apr 11, 2011
US
Hello everyone,

Here is the story:

graduate with BS degree in 2006
graduate with MS degree in 2009

unemployed since graduation. by September 2011, i will be 3 years unemployed and 5 years of no experience since BS degree.

keep in mind that i am an immigrant (speak with an accent) living in DC where most of jobs are out of my field and/or require TSC. and jobs in my field are too far for me to be worthwhile of companies to relocate me.

does this sound normal, giving the current economic recession?

that was the reaction of one recruiter who contacted me recently.

thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thanks MintJulep

yes. i should have been more blunt about it, had it not been for my pride. i was hoping they (close friends) would show the initiative. nonetheless, they are really few friends. not that many.

Find your local unemployment office and sign up for one of their job fairs. There are certain areas that add incentives to hires long-term unemployed and the unemployment office can be a good place to find postings. You may not find the perfect thing, but getting a first job is important. In my city, they are dying for qualified electricians. If you are long-term unemployed, you can qualify for job training. Even if it is not something you want to do as a career, it will show incentive, ingenuity and effort to potential employers.

"Gorgeous hair is the best revenge." Ivana Trump

Here is my assessment.

No confidence.

No initiative.

Too willing to make up excuses, not willing to act.

Not willing to accept good advice or believe that the fault may be within.

Too lazy to press the shift key every time it is needed.

Are you working at all, even if it is McDonalds? If not, then that is another stike against you. Being out of school for three years without an engineers job is a red flag, but being out of school and not working at all gets your resume placed into the circular file. Employers want someone that shows initiative and staying home waiting for a job to appear is not the initiative employers look for.

Your friends are not the ones that need to show initiative, that is your job as the job seeker! You need to call them up and ask about their industry, find out who the major players are and any contacts they may have within their company as well as competitors and vendors. Join trade associations in your target field and attend local events, trade shows etc. At the trade shows find a slow time during the show and talk to the salesmen about their companies and see if you can get some contact names.

I can understand your frustration with finding a job, but your job search is your job until you find something and if you are not putting in a full weeks worth of effort every week, you are not going to find something in this market. I would not blame the local candidates either, companies are very picky and want only the best for their company. They will select you for an interview if they think you have something to offer. Since you are not making it past the phone interview, look honestly at what you are saying to find out why you are not getting selected. You might want to point out in your cover letter for the out of state positions that you are planning on moving to that area, whether it is true or not, it might help open some doors. We do not cover relocation for entry level positions so anything to help alleviate the concern that you might expect relocation will help avoid getting your resume passed over.

MintJulep

i was not like that until recently after i gave up on job search and started focusing on PhD. you have to put yourself in my shoe to understand the psychological effect of long-term unemployment. i read once a survey that people usually give up and switch career around the 3 year mark; if i remember correctly.

Also, if it works out to be 3 years, you're not serious about looking for a job.
With your degree, there are jobs out there, just have to look and talk to people. Applying for jobs online is a start, but will not find you a job unless you are persistent and follow up on them.

Chris
SolidWorks 10 SP4.0
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

ctopher

surprisingly, there aren't. keep in mind that US is going through the toughest recession in years. i am serious about finding job or at least i was. i did not spend 6 years working hard on earning engineering degrees, only to be not serious about working in engineering. i think the problem is once you pass the 1 year mark, you automatically become undesirable. at least that is how some online unemployment articles put it.

you have to wounder how many entry-level grads follow your job hunting techniques. probably, you guys speak from experience. but as far as entry-level grads, we have limited job hunting and interviewing skills. so, i don't think the problem is heavily due to poor job hunting, because all grads are equally weak at this.

"because all grads are equally weak at this"

Not all.

My son (22) graduates from college in June with his BS (double-major). He is already working (previously an intern) and has other prospects wanting him.
He starts his PhD in Sept.

Chris
SolidWorks 10 SP4.0
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

I think relocating where you have a shot at getting employement is better than sitting in the DC area.

If your degree is in the process/chemical area, then you would be better suited where their is big demand for same. So Houston area, Gulf Coast, Canada oil/sand tar process, Shale Fracking, etc.... (not just the oil/gas industry) but you get the idea.

Your right about one thing is that most companies will hire local instead of relocating someone from another area in the country. Until that demand is dried up which will take some time I think, its better to move to known area where the jobs are as others have pointed out.

My friend was in same situation and was unemployed waiting for his rate to come back. Your not waiting for some stratisphere rate based on an MS degree?

ctopher

good for your son, although it may not be due to better job hunting skills. it could be that an opportunity presented itself at the right place and time for your son. most likely his job hunting skills are withing the range of that for other grads. i wish him good luck in future endeavors.

thanks controlsdude

yes. recently, i got very serious about relocating. but i was afraid i would not be able to afford it if i don't find any temp job by the time my savings ran out. so i had to weigh between guaranteed PhD with funding vs Alberta with no job prospect and little money.

So you can't afford training on how to find a job but can afford a PhD. I suppose you're counting on a generous research grant or something.

Seems from what you said that your job hunting has been centered on use of the internet.

Have you tried any other ways? Job fairs were mentioned, have you been to any?

Have you tried directly contacting potential employers, sending out resumes blind in worse case. Is their some kind of industry directory you can look through to find leads?

Have you knocked on any doors? Asked people you've met? Had you mum/wife/girlfriend ask the person that does her nails...

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Wow guys, down. Easy. The guy's probably feeling down enough already. Constructive criticism is great, but tact is probably in order as well.

unemployedengineer, these guys mean well. From your description of your situation, it sounds as though you may benefit from attending some career counseling for help with interviewing techniques, resume writing, and so on. Your college will often offer these services for free. If not, the local career center probably will.

You mentioned your accent. If you feel that it is causing you difficulties, you may look into your local Toastmasters club.

Also, be sure to check the markets in other areas. Charlotte, NC is within a day's driving distance of Washington DC and may offer some great engineering opportunities. Houston and Atlanta are a bit farther out, but would also be likely have great opportunities as well.

And, above all, be confident. Remember, when you walk into an interview, you're selling your skills and your personality. As far as you're concerned, they'd be a fool not to hire you - you're a degreed engineer. You've spent years learning your trade. Keep that attitude, be polite, and be honest and you'll surely find something.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back