Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

30% Propelyene Glycol/Water Mixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJB32482

Chemical
Jan 19, 2005
US
I am trying to find the specific heat of a 30% Propylene Glycol/Water mixture. Is the heat transfer capability lower or higher than just pure water? If the heat transfer is lower, why are solutions like this used instead of just water in heat exchange systems (corrosion?)?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

30% Glycol is used as an antifreeze to stop it freezing water on its own is a better choice if your ambient temperature stays above freezing for cost and heat transfer

My table shows the specific as 0.955.

Lots of systems can be out of service - either intentionally or by accident - in sub freezing weather. Water filled systems will freeze and split.

30% Ethylene Glycol and water mixture is preferably used if the working temperature is below zero

Beside this, ethylene glycol mixture has higher boiling point than the water which allow for the working of the radiator at higher temperature.

The specific heat of prop glycol/water mix is less than pure water (around 0.9 at 100F) , ie, it carries less heat per gallon.

The kinematic viscocity is also higher than water and has a pump energy penalty.

RJB32482,

The specific heat varies with both concentration and temperature. According to the old program I have from Dow, the specific heat of 30% propylene glycol is:

.901 @ 10 F

.933 @ 100 F

.969 @ 200 F

The heat transfer properties of propylene glycol are slightly less than those of water, (or ethylene glycol for that matter). The reasons are (1) lower specific heat (2) lower thermal conductivity, and (3) higher viscosity.

Glycols are usually used to prevent freezing. However, it appears that the freezing point of 30% propylene glycol is around 8 deg F.

Regards,

Speco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back