Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D CAD Packages 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

g1a1

Mechanical
Nov 21, 2001
US
My Company has been using Autodesk for a number of years. A handful of us are using Mechanical Desktop 2005 and the rest use ACAD 2D 2005. Since MDT is fading away, we are undecided whether or/not to pursue training in Inventor or some other 3D Package (at a lower cost/seat). We have a large archive history of ACAD files that must be maintained as legacy data. Has anybody been down this path that could share some insight on the various software packages out there? Pros and Cons of each against Autodesk as a bench mark? Thanks for you Help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I came back to drawing/design after 20yrs in Quality and although I'd done a very small amount of Autocad, I was presented with Solidworks and given a week on my own with a few books. I can vouch how easy & user friendly it is.
SW will let you go on the basic course (for payment I suppose) so you could see what it can/can't do.
All in all I'm very impressed with it.

I use Inventor. One advantage is that when you buy Inventor, it comes with AutoCAD.

Regarding the original poster, I also used MDT and AutoCAD previously. Inventor is so much better than MDT that you'll be so happy you switched. However, it does seem that Solidworks is more widely used than Inventor and this can be important if you share data often with customers or vendors.

G1A1, give the VAR a drawing of one of your products and ask them to duplicate it exactly with a model and drawing. At the time of the demo, we watched there canned demo and they brought up our model and we started throwing a bunch of what ifs at them. It was a lot of fun to watch one group squirm, but the other group handle it really well.

Don't think that your new drawings in your new 3D CAD package are going to come out looking just the same as they did in 2D ACAD. For example: Where is my revcloud?

We went through this about 6 months ago. We haven't completely made the transition into 3D yet because we have to much work. Be wary, depending on what you do for a living, you will need almost a month of down time for training, updating blocks, setuping standards, title blocks, fixing your mistakes because of a new program, that kind of stuff.

Have fun and may the force be with you, your going to need it.

Here is my opinion. It's only an opinion and of course is biased in my favor.

Of the software I'ved used I like these programs in this order (great to "it's okay")

3D
pro engineer 2001 (last version i used, never used wildfire)
Catia 5
Solid works
Alibre

2D
cadam (best 2d ever, programmers seeked old time, crusty drafter types for input)
autocad
autosketch (i don't like this one)

Lot's of time and experience is needed before 3d can really be put to work for you. Trial and error learning at times.

I do not know about other 3D packages since it has been 5+ years since I've had any time on anything other than Solidworks, but it handles AutoCAD legacy data really well. You can even open and edit DWGs within Solidworks if you really want to. I think they have incorporated Intellicad into Solidworks. I have been really pleased with SW, but cannot really compare others.

triumph406 ... you didn't waste anyones time, you just tried to help someone by giving your opinon. Other members also recommended the OP investigate Unigraphics/Ideas & Catia.

Nowhere in any post has it been stated that any system was "best" ... people are simply recommending the very capable systems they are familiar with.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Triumph406 you were certainly not wasting my time and having reread my post I am sorry I did come across a bit heavy handed, not my intention.

I do however still find it strange that people offer advice on what system is “best” with very limited knowledge of what is required of the system, to my mind there is no one suits all system.

I know you may be looking for comparisons, but as a starting point, here is a list of various CAD software available.

pipingdesigner
pipingdesigners%20logo.gif

Yeah, this is a typical problem G1A1, a potential nightmare if you cannot read previous AutoCad files.

I've had a similar problem, having 10,000+ drawing files and facing progressing FEA problems. All my drawings are in either AutoCad Version 14 or previous, some of them dating back to AutoCad Version 8.

I went to SolidWorks, finding them to have the superior drawing editor and link to 3D packaging, either COSMOSExpress in the SolidWorks edition 2004/2005. Once comfortable with the SolidWorks platform, I added the full FEA capability with COSMOS.

You will be able to open all AutoCad formated drawings with SolidWorks, be able to upgrade or convert them and then with minor work, get them into 3D.

I am extremely satisfied with SolidWorks, the platform, technical support and sales bulletin updates. Since my purchase 1 1/4 years ago, I've joined a user group in my area and attend the monthly meetings to see what is going on with future updates. I've found SolidWorks to be extremely connected to their customers and genuinely concerned for their product in the marketplace.

SolidWorks worked for me. I don't care for any other package. Oh yeah, I still use AutoCad every now and then, but the workhorse in my company is SolidWorks. Why not phone a local representative and have him send you the sales package and demo disk? She is very, very sweet!

Kenneth J Hueston, PEng
Principal
Sturni-Hueston Engineering Inc
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back