Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

3D Connexion Filters in ProE

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathonrose

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2006
US
One thing I really liked about the space mouse in SolidWorks was the ability to filter rotation around a vertex, or axis. That functionality doesn't seem to exist in ProE and I can't find a way to put in teh toolbar like one that exists in SW and I can't find anything in ProE config file for any reference to spinning around the screen center, versus the spin center.

I accidentally made a temporary spin center once or twice, hitting the display spin center, but can't make that consistent. If I could figure out how i did that, then maybe I can assign that to a button on the space explorer. A pain, but maybe doable.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can set the Spin Center by ...
(WF2, may be version dependent)

Spin Center On:
(make a mapkey or toolbutton for this)
Menu: View -> Orientation -> Reorient ...
Type: Preferences, Screen Center is an
option.
or
Spin Center Off:
Place the graphics window cursor over a shaded
surface or an edge or vertex if in wireframe mode,
MMB, Drag (to rotate). The initial cursor position
will be the new Spin Center and the 3D motion
device should honor it (my old 3003 Spaceball does,
anyway).

-Jeff Howard (wf2)
Sure it's true. I saw it on the internet.

Thanks Jeff,

I playewd around and noticed that a bit later. As I mentioned I saw it happen sometimes, so, yep, in WF3 You have to MMB and drag to start it. Kind of silly if just want to rotate about the center of the screen. But decent enough to get a rotation center on a vertex, maybe even easier than having to click a button in a toolbar, but that toolbar made for some precise picking.

But how about an edge to spin around an axis? I didn't use this AS much, but if I wanted to "peek" around a corner, it came in handy.

Anyone else have any ideas about an edge, or to just automatically spin about the center of the screen?

If you hit the reorient icon or select
View > Orientation > Reorient from the Pull downs select Preferences from Type list you'll get the following screen

wf4_Orientation-prefs.PNG

Tools options
Left Box setting name
mapkey

Right box mapkey value "vs" is mapkey type vs and it runs
vs @MAPKEY_LABELView Spin CTR;~ Command `ProCmdViewOrient` ;~ Open `orient` `SetupOptions`;~ Close `orient` `SetupOptions`;~ Select `orient` `SetupOptions`1 `setup`;

I thinkd 3D Connexion may have a toolbar with these icons dependeing on the version of driver I've seen it in Programs like SolidWorks and UG they may not have one for WF4 which I'm using.

I'll let you know if I find it in earlier versions of ProE

Michael

[jester]

Thanks, I didn't know that was there, but it seems you set the preferences to then work with the dynamic reorientation of the model with the sliders, etc. Could be useful if really need to focus on an edge, etc, but does not appear to cause anything on the SpaceExplorer.

I can't find anything with a toolbar for ProE like they have in SolidWorks. Not a huge impact, but a bit of a loss.

We'll be moving to WF4 early/mid next year I think I heard. Not sure if that will affect this at all.

Thanks!

hi
I've got your same troubles , and i do this: when the model is small , i use the spincenter in the center of the model.
When the model are big you can do two things to got same result : you can disable the view of the spincenter , and you will see wherever you point the mouse cursor and press MMB to spin/rotate, will become the center of the rotatation. And if you try use the space mouse that will be used. The 2nd method are used by those who don't have the space mouse , and consist in left in view the spincenter , and whenever there are needed to change the center of rotations , must leave pressed the ALT button with the MMB to spin/rotate. But when the ALT button is released the spincenter return to default position.
I do thi trick when i need to change the pos. of spincenter , i disable the view of that , point with the mouse the desired point , and do a little rotation with the MMB , and i start to use the space mouse with the new center of rotation.
I hope that i can explain it to you , because my english is not to good , i'm italian.
Regards bye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back