Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D Contact analysis with ISFILE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comlex

Apr 22, 2005
GB
Hi friends,

I am using Ansys to model residual stresses. I have got the stresses and saved in file.ist using iswrite,on. Now I want to read these stresses into different model but same mesh as the one used to create residual stresses.

The problem is the second model consists of CONTA173 and TARGE170 elements. Ansys gives an error message as isfile,read. ... cannot support contact elements. Is there any way to transfer all the streeses from one FE model to another ? I mean, I have got same mesh pattern for both the models. Also I cannot unselect the contact elements, they are must for the analysis.

Thanks
coml

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Coml,
Are you certain that the element numbers and node numbers associated with the elements you're trying to apply the ISFILE command to are identical in both models? If not they should be. Also, when you issue ISFILE,READ make sure only structural elements (the ones you're trying to apply the *.ist file to) are selected. No contact elements should be selected here. Then before you issue SOLVE, issue ALLSEL right before so that all elements are selected for your analysis.

Good luck,
-Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your tip. It works very well. I am getting the exact stress distribution in new model by using ISFILE with Contact elements.

Cheers
Coml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back