Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D Human Model for 'H' Point Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamMorpheus

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2003
CA
I am looking for a manipulative 3D model of a human for doing 'H' Point design and vehicle cab reach zone analysis. I can create the surface models from scratch but it would be easier to use an existing model. We use UG but I can deal with almost any CAD format

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is supposed to be a new module in UG NX 2, which contains an H-point model, eyelypse's, etc.(ie the automotive modules developed for GM), but last time I talked to them, they didn't have a price on it.

-Dave
"Everything should be designed as simple as possible, but not simplier"

iamMorpheus,

You really need to consider the Jack Occupant Packaging Toolkit from UGS PLM Solutions. I am just starting to use it and am very impressed. The training was excellent as well.

ef_opt.jpg

Good luck!

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"Luck is the residue of design."
Branch Rickey

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

iamMorpheus,

Curious to hear what tool you adopted to do this work.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
Branch Rickey

FYI, the auto "packaging" module is now available from UG, but the manikin is 2D. It does help get you the sight angles, windshield zones, mirror placement, etc., all the items you'd use the eyelypse's for, just not 3D reach/ergonomics studies.

-Dave
"Everything should be designed as simple as possible, but not simplier"

Mloew,

We went with Jack. I am also very impressed with the software but I felt the training was too slow and the instructor was not knowledgeable enough.

Thanks.

IamMorpheus,

Please try to contact me (click on my handle and decode my email) if you wish to discuss. I would be interested in collaborating with another user. I obviously had a different instructor than you did.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
Branch Rickey

iamMorpheus,
The tool you need is Ramsis from Human Solutions. It creates 3D manikins based on various population sets, ie European, American, Asian etc. They can be tasked to reach controls, press pedals etc. Limb angles and confort can be analysed. Go to the link below for a look.

regards

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back