Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D Lateral Analysis for Wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psustruct

Structural
Dec 2, 2010
US
Is there a program (similar to Ram Structural System) that will aid in the design of wood shear walls?

I'm looking for a program where I can build a 3D model of the building (with window/door openings in the walls), apply the lateral loads, and get the most efficient shear wall layout.

Any tips?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

WoodWorks Shearwall does this if you are considering wood frame shearwalls

The RISA products (RISA-3D and RISAFloor) have recently invested a good amount of development time for wood framed buildings. We now do wood shear walls by the three common methods (segmented, Force Transfer Around Openings, and Perforated). It's still probably not as straight forward as steel frame optimization, but it is moving in that direction.

If you are interested, there should be a number of Movies and Tutorials on our website ( Or, you can always download a Demo version of the program and try it out for yourself. If you have trouble finding any of that stuff, just send an e-mail to the info@risatech.com account. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

BuildingWorx by StructuralSoft is by far the best 3d wood design software I have found. You can perform both gravity and lateral analysis. It will generate and distribute loads for you similar to Ram SS.

It can analyze perforated shear walls as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back