Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3d Mouse Fly Through

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidDesign

Mechanical
May 4, 2006
US
I finally have my 3d Mouse. I want to do a fly through in Solidworks 2008. What do I need to do to do this because it just keeps zooming in and out and rotating I can't actualy say fly through a door and rotate around and see where I just came from.

I have the Space Mouse Plus 3 XT USB

Thanks,
SolidDesign

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To my knowledge, you can't, and that's more of a limit to SW than the 3D products. Even with the standard zoom command the camera for SW never goes completely through the model, it just zooms farther in on whatever happens to be your focus. You can animate a camera path that will do a fly through, but that's not the same thing as what you are asking for.

Joe Hasik, CSWP/SMTL
SW 08 x64, SP 4.0
SW 09 x64, SP 0.0
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

The flip-side of that option is that it would be much easier to lose the object of the zoom from your view screen by going past it. I prefer the current setting, but it would be cool if you could hold down the Alt key (or whatever) to allow the zoom through the model instead of incrementally closer to it.

As Joe mentioned above, you can use Animator to send a camera through your model and save the output to video format if you like--but that's not real-time.

Jeff Mowry
A people who value security over freedom will soon find they have neither.

I had this feature when I was running Catia and it sucked at first but when you got in tune to it it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

But oh well if it don't do it I guess I will have to do it the hard way.

Simple solution, add a camera.

In the add camera dialog you get a 2UP view, one of the usual workspace and another from the cameras POV. Just drag the camera inside your part and rotate around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back