Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3d Points input into Solid Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttaktn

Automotive
Jul 29, 2004
GB
Hi

I'm using V17 Solid Edge, and i'd like to know if this is possible:

Can I get some 3D points in space and input them directly into 3D part. The way i'm doing it now is by extracting a parallel plane in one reference direction, then drawing a point in the other two reference directions.

This takes quite a while, so is there a simple way to say here's my x,y,z, give me a point in space.

Cheers in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

The only work-around I know is to create a curve by table (in the surfacing toolbar in Part or psm) and create a new spread sheet : enter the coordinates (3 columns X,Y and Z) for each point. Then, in the parameters choose the option 'linear segments'.

You will not have 3D points but you will have segments which will enable you to use these points (their extremities).

NB: you need at least 2 points to use this method

HTH

Fred

Hi ttatkn,
Not sure if there is anything new in V17, but in earlier versions you can create a co-ordinate system for each of the points you require.
Click the Co-ord system icon and use the Orient by Key-in option.
Enter your co-ordinates in the X,Y,Z boxes then click Next and then Preview.
This will orient the axes parallel to the file XYZ axes.

You can then use the lines and keypoints of the axes as reference for creating further geometry.
In the past I've used this method for creating the sweep path for flexibles such as hoses and cables.

Beachcomber.
PS. What's 17 like? Are there any apparent 'bugs' and have your older version files upgraded OK ?

That's a great help, cheers mate :)

As for V17, there aren't any bugs that really crop up at the moment. The files have converted ok, although it takes a little longer the first time you open them. Its all trying to be like UG now, with loads of menus at the top, pay for add-ons & licences etc.

hope this helps

cheers again

Well, i have some points in space, from a co-ordinate measuring machine. So i'd like to get these points easily and quickly into CAD, to draw the part up.

Also, sometimes, i have suspension co-ordinate points, and i'd like to put them into CAD for my rotation centres. Ideally, i'd have some way of creating points in space in the CAD system. This could be substituted for parts like rollcage intersection points.

Hope this helps in your understanding of the problem

Hi fwc,
Sorry if I appeared a bit dim, but I wasn't sure whether you were refering to ttaktn's original question or my comment about the hoses etc.
If 3D point input is missing in V17, maybe it should be an enhancement request for the next version, along with being able to create a 3D profile, similar to the tube path command but comprising lines and circular arcs/fillets if required.
How do ordinary users get these sort of requests to UGS ?

Beachcomber.

If you are a maintenance paying customer, you can enter a Incedent Report on UGS's support line @ 1-800-955-0000, or via a web page @ support.ugs.com/logir. You can also participate in the UGS sponsored newsgroups @ bbsnotes.ugs.com

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back