Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3d printers 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranky108

Electrical
Jul 23, 2007
US
How will 3D printers change how we do our designs. And now with conductive plastics, there are fewer parts to assemble.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

cranky, given that I work in the "large pieces of welded steel industy" I anticipate no changes.

Not to hijack, but Merry Christams and Happy New Year to all the Eng Tippers.

Regards,

Mike

We'll be able to design parts without as much consideration of how it'll machined.
The metal additive printers are really cool.

There is a commercial level 3D printer about 20 feet away from where I'm sitting. I get to play with it, it's really cool.

Maybe. I've not yet seen metal parts from 3D printers, but have used its predecessor process: PM parts in steel, bronze and stainless alloys. They are pretty uniformly lower in strength properties than their wrought counterparts, unless infiltrated (e.g. copper into steel/stainless alloys). The infiltration tends to alter the chemistry to the point that corrosion resistant parts are no longer quite so resistant. Similarly, plastics from additive machines do not perform as well as their molded counterparts in strength. For mockups, prototypes, or purely decorative features, ie. applications where the lower strength and brittle behavior can be managed to an acceptalbe level, they do ok. But people predicting a "print your own engine", or car, or gun, etc. are extrapolating to an endpoint I just can't see from here.

One of the smarter uses of the technology is to print forms in wax, which can then be used for an investment casting, with a bit of effort.

As a maker** of fine jewelry for a hobby, I foresee the demise of the true craftsman in small, intricate work. Solidworks and a 3-D printer shorten the idea-to-mold time by orders of magnitude. Mistakes, judgement errors, size changes, and trial prototypes that turn out just plain ugly are almost trivial in terms of wasted effort (and wasted gold or platinum).

I think this will apply to lots of other small work.

**Notice that I wrote "maker," not "creator." My wife and sister are the designers and sketchers. I wish I had that talent, but for now I'm happy being the one who gets to make the castings.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Currently there are a good few 3D printed parts in Formula 1 cars, as basically parts can be produced that could not be made in any other way.

As has been mentioned it is becoming more common in producing max parts for the jewellery business and a big advantage is parts can be made in different parts of the world rather than relying on the skill and interpretation of the sculptor.

If and when it becomes a main stream way of making “budget” products I don’t know but it is hard to see that it won’t become more widely used as the technology develops and parts will be designed specifically to be 3D printed.

Does anyone know what the cost (materials only) is to make say a comb in one of these? Sort of interested in the comparison for something like a vending machine.

When I was younger, very young, there was a plastic molding machine at a dinsour exibit. One would put in your money, and the machine would mold and despence a plasitc dinsour. They looked simular to the dinsours that were roaming wild.

"When I was younger, very young, there was a plastic molding machine at a dinsour exibit. One would put in your money, and the machine would mold and despence a plasitc dinsour. They looked simular to the dinsours that were roaming wild."

Exactly HOW OLD are you?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

The material to print is usually PLA or ABS, and the filaments are bout 20$/kg. You mostly print hollow, or with 10 - 20% infill for strength, so material cost is really small.

$20/kg would be great - I've not been able to find 3mm ABS filament for less than about $35/kg delivered.

Here's one of my recent parts (party favor for my son's 6th b-day, which will be go-kart racing at a local track):
IMG_6004.jpg

Mass of the printed portion is about 66g, so they run me about $2.80/ea for the unibody not counting scrap.

Isen't there some kimd of trademark on most kids toys? Besides that, kids toys would be a good application in a vending application. I was thinking something like combs, ice scrapers, cell phone shells, and the like.

Another possible application might be plastic gears for power tools, copiers, and other power, and office machines.

If some one could do larger parts like air dams for cars, then it could reduce car parts inventorys.

I think one day in my lifetime, we'll see a printer in every home, right beside the microwave oven. Maybe not this decade, but probably the next. Need a baby toy? You grab design plans off the internet, plug them into the printer, and hit 'go.' I think they'll be quite common for simple items, such as an iPhone case.

Also of some interest to this forum:

Same concept, for small houses. Grab your free plans, send them the 3d printer or c&c shop, pick them up later.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Except you can't eat what it makes. Maybe that's the next step, some self hardening food goo, in which flavering can be added.

Does your morning egg taste funny?

One mod for printers like mine is a syringe-style extruder for making layer-by-layer edible confection designs (marzipan, etc). Seems like it could be a cool way to make custom cake toppers, but it might be even better if there were a semi-hard candy filament that could be printed by the usual method instead.

There are also wood/polymer composite materials on the market, if you want to make a "wooden" part. I haven't figured out why I'd want to do that yet.

Wood polymer composites are more about recycling and the appearance of being ecologically responsible, unless of course you consider plywood and chipboard as wood polymer composites.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Neet, simulated wood carvings.

One thing about using wood is it might be easer to drill and cut after it is made. For something like a simulated wood handle for travel bags. All you would need is a grain look.

One application maybe wood dowls for between pieces of wood. The polymer would make it better for hammering into the drilled hole. And with them being printed, you don't need to keep so many sizes in stock. You could use the same printer to print drawer pulls, and polymer screws (for the pulls), as well as drawer slides, casters, etc.

There you go, furnish your home from a stack of lumber, wood saws, etc., a 3d printer, and wood glue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back