Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3d printers 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranky108

Electrical
Jul 23, 2007
US
How will 3D printers change how we do our designs. And now with conductive plastics, there are fewer parts to assemble.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

John,
Interesting article, I notice that the writer mentioned several Cad programs, but did not mention the one 3D systems bought a couple of years ago, Alibre inc.
B.E.

I still believe it could have the potential to reduce the after market car parts industry to only having to stock parts that can't be printed.

Go to the parts store needing a new air dam, and they print you one in an hour. Then they can change the plastic, and print you a new brake light cover.

Although I have been racking my brain to think of other industries, out side of cars, boats, etc, that use so much plastic parts.

toys/games (look up "Seej")
adult "entertainment" (use your imagination)
telecom (think phone covers etc)
cooking (moulds, cookie cutters, etc)
anything using castings

No, I have enough hobbies without a 3D printer. The $3K price tag for something I don't yet have a use for just dosen't make since.
I would think differently if I had a use. I could set it on the beer fridge my wife won't let me purchase.

I'm rather interested in where this technology might be going, however. Or if it will die like so many other ideas.

Remember that science fiction usually predates workable models by about 4-5 decades. Star Trek posited "replicators" during the 1960's. As long as someone can design materials that can be plotted/printed, eventually someone will make it.

Also can you imagine someday small "home use" cartridges of steel, that at the correct temperature (controlled in the 3D printer itself) will flow through your home use 3D printer to make a new cooking pan for your stove? Or a custom wrench for your tool kit?

Back to the Star Trek replicators of the future, extrudable food already exists too. :eek:)

I had some parts done in late '97 early '98 timeframe they were stupid expensive at the time ~$4500 for 6 parts about the size of baseball (three of each) we then used those to make parts for testing via investment casting the pieces. The technology was still pretty new and it killed me to burn them away instead of a cool bit of desk art.

Since then my employer has brought this technology in house and every tom dick and harry engineer has some part from one of the various processes (machines) we have scattered around the office. Bad thing is that these machines let them do things that we cannot then tool up for actual production runs without all sorts of complexity to tooling that was never budgeted for. The other bad part is a lot of the S&M management types see "plastic prototypes" and think we are on the verge of a launch and not 20+wks out because we have to cut steel.

And the point about durability and accuracy is very true -- the little I have seen from the "maker" printers leaves a lot to be desired.

So much for regulating them.

Without going into the gun issue, is it also possible that other illegal things can be printed?

What about plastic knifes?

I did not see any information on the type of printer (size, or capabilities, or cost). But Nylon is a plastic, and this was not something I had thought about being printable (clothing).

One modification they can make to the printer for this application is to have it print on to a 3D figure of the person it is being printed for (sort of like those dress things my mother had).
This would reduce the number of seems needed, and the manual assimbly.

I also did not see any comparson between printing the gown and having it made in a sweat shop.

Thought: this could make sweat shop workers unemployed. Replaced by technology, just like trafic camaras are replacing police.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back