Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D Scaling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gt6racer2

Automotive
Oct 10, 2005
US
Hi All, Sorry for such a basic question. We have designed in 3D CATIA V5 a complex machined "valve block" component with many internally intercepting features. I now want to create exactly the same shape object, only 20% bigger. Can this easily be done in CAD ? I'm being informed by our CAD folks that they need to start over. I have researched, but could only find examples of simple shapes being scaled in 3D.
Thanks for any assistance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a scale button for 3D solids but that would be too easy as it would also scale attaching features like threaded holes. Provided you had a history based model, scaling would not be too difficult.

In the attached image you could add the scale factor of 1.2 to the 3D area with all remaining boolean commands remaining at 1.0 factor. In my example I have mold heating lines that I would like a certain distance away from part surface. I would need to adjust the point locations to accommodate the 20% increase.

Regards,
Derek

Win XP64
R20/21, 3DVIA Composer 2012, ST R20
Dell T7400 16GB Ram
Quadro FX 4800 - 1.5GB

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=08fb8a61-1b25-4139-86e1-4ceb444ee0d6&file=scale_object.jpg
Derek, Thanks for your reply. I now understand that 3D scaling is possible, and this will make an exact copy, just bigger. As a result the new part would have all of the correct hole relationships/intersections, but we would probably have to go in and clean up to adjust threads and other features to align with standards etc.. ( I'd want to holes/threads to grow, but they need to be changed to nearest standard. )

If you use the basic knowledge ware of Catia you could have it sort out the next available screw size. I use the command below in various areas of the templates I create. In your case you would need a design table of the thread sizes. This would be overkill if you only had a couple of various valve blocks.

CloserSupConfig()
Applies to a design table sheet. Returns the configuration which contains the smallest values greater or equal to the values of the given arguments. When several configurations meet this condition, the method sorts out the possible configurations with respect to the column order as it is specified in the argument list.

Syntax
sheet -> CloserSupConfig(columnName: String, minValue: Literal, ...): Integer

Win XP64
R20/21, 3DVIA Composer 2012, ST R20
Dell T7400 16GB Ram
Quadro FX 4800 - 1.5GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back