3D scanner for reverse engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

onefourseven

Industrial
Jul 3, 2013
US
Hi guys,
Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I wasn't sure where else.

tl;dr version:
I need some advise as to the efficacy of existing 3D scanners in producing CAD-compatible scans of large objects (about 1.25 m x 10 cm x 10 cm) at relatively high resolutions (30-50 um).

Background:
My company is looking into developing a whole new product line and is considering the fiscal and temporal costs for producing plastic tanks. Everything in-house implies a set of CAD stations and a full machine shop to produce molds for injection molding and the injection molding setup. The timeline is to check how long before we will be able to mass produce 300 varieties of tanks.
Project idea was indicated yesterday and costing to be done by Monday :eek: . (They were considerate enough to say that a broad overview would be acceptable.)

The problem - even with a set of CAD stations and tool room, the molds will not be produced faster than maybe 3-4 in a month (6-8 years till full capacity).
My proposed solution - rapid prototyping setup with a 3D scanner to speed up design. As we will be reverse engineering most of these, this should work out well.
I'm hoping this will speed up the design process significantly.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We're currently working with a 3D-printing supplier to do something similar.
Their scanners are Rexcan. I'm not sure if they make them that big though (I have no affiliation with that firm, just trying to help)
So far, they seem to be pretty easy to create decent STL files. If you want anything else (STEP, ...) it seems to be more work.
Take note that not all parts can be scanned, if they have holes that are too deep or things like that, it's impossible to scan properly.

NX 7.5.5.4 with Teamcenter 8 on win7 64
Intel Xeon @3.2GHz
8GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 2000

Depending on your precise needs, Faro manufactures the Faro Arm (there are similar ones like it, this is just what's in my shop).

Basically, it uses a multi-dimensional articulating arm to record multiple points in a 3-dimensional space, from which CAD drawings can be developed. We use it for testing fabricated parts, but I don't see why it couldn't be adapted for containers and tanks.

If you plan to injection mold tanks, then you don't know enough about tanks, or innjection molding.

You have a lot of reading to do.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back