Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D-Scanning / Digitizing advice needed?????? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JArcuri

Mechanical
May 18, 2005
US
I am researching different methods of digitizing, i will be going from a 3/8 clay model of a car to a mathematical 3D computer model.

Can anybody with experience in this process recommend a method? Laser, white light, ect...... Also can you explain why?

Can somebody recommend a machine to purchase or a consulting firm that will do the job for us? We are located in Greenville, SC.

Thanks,
Joe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JArcuri,

We had a company called Advanced Vehicle Engineer (AVE) help us with sort of thing. They use a white light camera set-up. We had them scan full size body sides.

I know they have scanned whole cars for some NASCAR teams as well as for the Big 3. I also know they have done this exact thing before.

They are on the web at . The downside is that they located in Auburn Hills, Michigan

There is another company that I have talk to but not work with personaly is Optimal, which has also done this type of work before but their equipment is not portable as AVE's, I think. They are also located in the Metro Detroit Area. See

in Atlanta does good work.

Getting someone else to do the scanning is more cost effective if you are not going to be scanning on a monthly basis. There is a steep learning curve and the equipment and software is expensive (>$40,000).

A couple of questions you will need to answer are.
What resolution do you need?
What accuracy do you need?
Is the model symmetric? Can you only scan half?
Do you want the point cloud or a surface model?
Does it need to be class A? What are you doing with the data?
What is your budget and schedule?

I'd watch symmetry if I were you. We scanned one third of a three spoke wheel and spent more time cleaning the results up to make it fit than if we'd scanned the whole thing.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

If you are looking for a less expensive more rudimentary method look into Faro
They have several options available, including scanning equipment and digitizers.

Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. And scratch where it itches.

I agree with the sentiment of buying the Service in, unless you're going to be doing an awful lot of it.

I have experience of running an office that purchased a Gold Faro Arm + Laser Scanning Camera. After regular use for about a year (with all the correct training) we were not up to the standard of the company that sold us the system.

Since then I have had experience of GOM scanning. This was about 5 years after the Laser scanning which may be a factor, but the quality and registration of the final scans was much better. Leading to less scan manipulation required and less complaints from the Surface Lines Group.

I would also suggest, if possible, to have the same company responsibe for scanning as for surfacing. Otherwise one will be blaming the other for poor results.

Everything is a compromise.

With a scanner on an arm like a Faro you don’t have to register the scans unless you have to move the arm. However, the accuracy of the scan data depends on the arm. It is often nosier because of this. To operate it you have to work two things at once the arm and the scanner. It can get to things that you could not with a camera style scanner but it can be more cumbersome. Some of the arms include in the ability to do touch data at the same time as laser.

A scanner without the arm needs multiple shots and registration of data but often has less noise. It can also be easier to operate because you only have to operate the scanner.

What is best depends on you.

You need to speak with a service bureau that has an industrial quality scanner i.e. Metris, Atos, Steinbichler etc.

There is no one scanner that does everything so speak with the experts. The worlds most accurate 3D scanner resides at XYZ RGB> and is based on the National Research Council of Canada's technology.... they also do service work so give them a call

- Scanor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back