Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D Scanning Systems comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

waqahmad

Mechanical
May 28, 2002
PK
Hi everybody

I hope,I will be able to find some useful comments from you on 3D scanners.

I have been given the assignment by my company to compare 3D Scanning (Digitizing) Systems availible in the market on following points:
Price
Accuracy

The names that i am familiar with are GOM, 3D Scanners, Faro Arms, Minolta, and steinbichler.

I have following questions in mind!

1) Which system is the best in terms of cost, accuracy, time, point cloud data noise, etc.

2) Which sytem is mostly in use in Scanning Service Bureaus?

3) Which system is most versatile in applications, I mean a system that can be used in aerospace, in automotive, in mold & Dies etc.

4)which technology is best (Laser or White light)

5)Any specific comments on following systems:
GOM

3D Scanners

Faro

Minolta

steinbichler

6)Can somebody give me price range idea of following systems manufacturers?
GOM
ATOS
ATOS I
ATOS II
TRITOP

3D Scanners

FAROARM

Minolta

steinbichler

7) MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, Is there any scanner availible in market that provides an accuracy of 5-10 microns.

8)Does 3D Scanners really provides the accuracies their manufacturers claim. I remember reading somewhere the claim of GOM for an accuracy of upto 2 micron. Is it possible to attain this much accuracy on a 3D Scanner?

9)Can Todays scanners provide an accuracy equal to that of a CMM? Can somebody provide me some comparison between CMM and 3D Scanner in terms of accuracy?

I would really appreciate the comments, personal experiences of people invloved in this technology.

Regards

WA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Over what volume do you need to measure accurately to 5-10 microns? In a 300 mm cube a Faro arm might be good for 100 microns, at a guess, realistically. As soon as you move the baseplate you'd be lucky to maintain 200 microns. If you articulate the arm to get around a feature then you'll lose accuracy as well.

Really the only ways you'll find out is to get them to give a demo, or pay them to do a job for you, on a known property.

5-10 microns is a pretty aggressive target for anything shy of a clean room facility by the way.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

We are knowledgeable reagrding the ATOS family of products. I think Greg gave you the best advice in benchmarking your application. We have seen a key attribute in deliverying accurate scan data is the ability to merge scan patches accurately. The ATOS does this by utilizing markers placed on or around the part and when a minum of 3 know targets are automatically recoginized by the sensor the scans are automaticall merged. Accuracy for large objects or complex shaped objects are enhanced through the addition of Digital Photogrammetry.

There are companies in the jet engine turbine blade industry obtaining .0005 in accurracy over the entire turbine blade. As Greg mentioned the 5-10 microns would be difficult to achieve with any of the devices you listed.

Wow, them are some tight requirements.
I use the Faro Platnum scan arm with the Faro Laser.
By the time you scan, Clean the scan, relax the polygon mesh then go to surface, were lucky to get within 0.001".
With the automotive stampings and molds we deal with, this is plenty good. Brown and sharp has a scanner that mounts to a bridge type cmm that might be close to what you want to hold, but like it was said before, put on your white jump suit and scan in a clean room.

perry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back