Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D Sketching in SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidLeech

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2004
IE
Dear all,
My new employer uses SE, I'm an experienced Solidworks user. Much of the work I will be doing in my new role is similiar to what I've accomplished in SWX using the 3D Sketching functionality (complex sweeps etc.). I've been looing through an academic version (V12) of SolidEdge and cannot see a comparable command. Is there one?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I don't know SW but for complex sweeps in SE, you should first take a look at the following commands : swept protrusion, keypoint curve, cross curve (requires two 2D sketches) and derived curve.

It would be nice for you to update to SE V18 if possible because there have been a few additions to the sweeping and surfacing commands since V12.

Last, there are three assembly optionnal modules that have a 3D sketcher : XpressRoute for piping, Structural Frames (free module with classic SE) and Wire Harness (V18 only).

HTH,

Fred

Thanks for that Fred, I have the option to upgrade and I will examine the options you have outlined. The derived curve option sugests a curve derived from edges etc. of existing parts, sketches etc., I am hoping there is an option that allows me draw using x, y and z coordinates simultaneously.

David

David,

I like the cross curve for creating 3D paths since I can create the paths from other sketches. I've used the cross curve to create paths for ribbon cable that wind around through a chassis and for that task I needed to look at the path from multiple viewpoints create the appropriate sketches and then combine them into a single 3D path.

Kyle

Hi,

<<I am hoping there is an option that allows me draw using x, y and z coordinates simultaneously.>>

That would be either 'keypoint curve' or 'curve by table'. (if you wish to enter the coordinatesin X,Y and Z). By the way, I'm pretty sure that keypoint curve is a lot more user-friendly in V18 than it used to be in V12.

Otherwise, contour curve allows you to draw a curve on a 3D surface.

Fred

Hi everyone,
I've just returned to SE from 6 months contracton SW where I did use the 3D Sketch command.
I think the command is a major omission from SE, as I've often required it in the past - for doing simple tasks like handrails and a few tubes and pipes. It's a pain having to create several sketches just to achieve what could be done with one.
I know there is the tubing environment, but no-one is going to pay extra (£1000 ??) for doing a few tubular parts now and again. The tubing environment shows that the capability is there, all it needs is adding into the part environment.

bc.

Interesting point beachcomber, and I am worried my new role will involve creating and assembling lots of parts simply to have edges that can then be used in derived 3D sketches. May have to look at additional modules for SE

David

David,
If someone has lots of piping and tubing to do then it's obvious that they will need the tubing module of SE - that's no different if you're using SolidWorks, Inventor or any other CAD system. It makes sense to use software specifically designed for the job.
There is a command in SolidWorks called '3D Sketch' which allows you to draw lines from point-to-point in 3D space without the need to create planes/profiles etc. in a similar way to creating a tube path in SE. You can then fillet those lines to give corner rads and sweep a profile along the sketch. That is what I'd like to see in SE.

bc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back