Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D - SOLVIEW & SOLDRAW 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

butelja

Mechanical
Jun 9, 1999
US
Does anyone know of a good reference that really explains the use of SOLVIEW and SOLDRAW in Autocad 2000 to create 2D projections of 3D objects in paperspace? There is brief coverage in Autocad help, and none whatsoever in the user's guide or any of the A2K references I have at my disposal. Thanks in adavance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here is some that i found online

"Issue

When you use the SOLVIEW and SOLDRAW commands, new layers are created. This solution explains the meaning of the suffixes in the names of the layers that are created.

Solution

The following list details the suffixes and their meanings for layers created when you use the SOLVIEW and SOLDRAW commands:

DIM - dimension information
HAT - hatch patterns
HID - hidden line information
VIS - visible line information
Important: These layers are re-created if you repeat the SOLDRAW command using the same layer name. Any object on a layer that is re-created will be deleted. Do not use these layers for normal drawing. Use these layers only to manipulate the display of views created in the software.
"

"Issue

You use the SOLDRAW command and you select a standard clipped viewport that was created either by using the VPCLIP command, or by selecting the Polygonal or Object option of the VPORTS command. However, the following error displays and you exit the command:

Non-SOLVIEW viewport ignored

Solution

The SOLDRAW command requires that the selected viewport have properties that existed when the viewport was created using the SOLVIEW command. However, there is no option to create a clipped SOLVIEW viewport.

Use the following procedure to create a clipped viewport that can be recognized by the SOLDRAW command:

Create a SOLVIEW viewport.

Refer to Help or the related topic for additional information about using the SOLVIEW command.

Create a boundary that represents the area you want for the clipped viewport.
The boundary you create must be a closed polyline, an ellipse, a spline, a region, or a circle.

On the command line, type vpclip and press ENTER to clip an existing viewport.
Select the SOLVIEW viewport created in step 1.
Select the clipped boundary created in step 2.

The original SOLVIEW viewport is replaced with the clipped boundary.
The new clipped viewport is a SOLVIEW viewport that the SOLDRAW command can recognize."

"Creating 2D drawings from a 3D solid model
Print
ID: TS17315
Applies to: AutoCAD® 2000,
AutoCAD® 2000i,
AutoCAD® 2002

Published Date: 06/04/2001

Issue

You can use the SOLPROF command to create a two dimensional drawing from three dimensional solids in AutoCAD®.

Solution

The SOLPROF command is used to create two dimensional (2D) and three dimensional (3D) profiles of AutoCAD ACIS solid models.

These steps show how to use the SOLPROF command to create a 2D profile.

Open a drawing that contains a solid model from which you want to create a profile.
Rotate your solid model to the view you want to project.
Select a Layout tab. This displays the Page Setup - Layout dialog box.
Select the settings you want.
Choose OK to set tilemode to 0 and create a layout viewport.
Choose the Paper button from the Status bar to open the viewport in model space.
Enter SOLPROF on the command line, then select the solid model. Press ENTER to continue the command.
When prompted to 'Display hidden profile lines on separate layer', enter Y. This creates a layer named PH-XX (where XX equals the Handle of the layout viewport). Visible Profile lines will be placed on layer PV-XX.
When prompted to 'Project profile lines onto a plane', enter Y. This creates a 2D profile. If you answered No, it creates a 3D profile.
When prompted to 'Delete tangential edges', enter Y. (This conforms to conventional drafting standards.)
You can now use layer controls to freeze your solid model in the current viewport and select color and linetype options for the visible and hidden profile objects.

See Also
Flattening a 3D model to 2D using a DXB plotter file and the DXBIN command

Cannot use SOLDRAW command on clipped viewport

Slicing a 3D solid model

Creating a 3D solid model from intersecting solids"

Hope all this helps if everyone helps everybody the world will be a better place

I can email you a powerpoint demo that I made as a tutorial for an add on for AutoCAD2000+ that explains how to use the SOLVIEW/SOLDRAW commands. It's a bit big so your server might spit it out. But let me know if you want to give it a try.

Peter.

could you email that to me blueprint
i hardly use that kind of stuff but im getting into a lot of 3d design now and i will need to show others how big is the file zipped could you email it to me at sherrin@gateway.net if everyone helps everybody the world will be a better place

Please e-mail the same power point demo.

I have always found there is little explanation of these ACAD features

angelo.valenti@clzr1.com

THX, Angelo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back