Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D Text around an circumferance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ella0509

Mechanical
May 19, 2004
GB
Hi guys,

I've been asked by our R&D team if I can show 3D text in the model such that it shows up when I produce renderings for them. I know that this can be done - my problem is that the text needs to go onto the end of a cylinder and then follow around the circumferance - if you know what I mean (similar to the techniques used in Wordart on MS Word).

Cheers,
Lee

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks steve,

Any chance you can elaborate a little - I'm still novice with Pro/E - using 2001i at the mo.....I've sketched a datum curve onto my disc......how do I get to the TEXT command!!

Lee

Hello,

If I understand you correctly, for 2001, select FEATURE --> CREATE --> SOLID --> PROTRUSION --> EXTRUDE. Select the planes sketch view etc. The from the Main Menu at the top, select SKETCH, TEXT, define a vertical line, for the height, type in your text, and check the PLACE ALONG A CURVE, you may nned to flip the text as it seems to have a habit of inverting itself.

Is this what you require?

----------------------------------
Hope this helps.

maybe only a drafter
but the best user at this company!

onlyadrafter, the only method I can see that resembles your statement does not give me a "Place Along Curve" choice:

I go:

FEATURE-->CREATE-->SOLID-->PROTRUSION-->EXTRUDE
Select my sketch plane & Default plane as TOP
Select default planes as Refs

Then go SKETCH-->ADV GEOMETRY-->TEXT

Enter text as required - then I'm prompted for box to place text - draw a box on the screen and text appears. But no option for "PLACE ALONG CURVE". Is this on later release only perhaps??

Lee

onlyadrafter - my apologies.......I'm currently using 2000i.....we are shortly updating to 2001 and I've looked at what you said in that version and it works. Seems that those options aren't available in older version(??)....

Cheers for input guys - I'll have to wait until we go live with 2001 in a couple of weeks......

Lee

How do you apply text to a cylinder surface? I have tried to select the surface to do extrude but it doesnt give me the option of selecting the rounded surface. Please help. I have tried other ways but it has led me to come here to ask the pro's.
Thanks Guys

Hello,

Do you mean around the cylinder, or up and down?

Hope this helps.

maybe only a drafter

Hello,

In Wildfire 2,

Create a datum plane a known distance from the cylinder, create one letter of the text, select, EDIT --> FEATURE OPERATIONS --> COPY and do a rotate, this may need tinkering to get the correct angles.

I may be able to send you a file if you wish.

Then do a cut along the cylinder to get the text to the correct height.

Is this any use?

Hope this helps.

maybe only a drafter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back