Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D Thermal Strain, Quick Hand Calc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikiso

Geotechnical
Apr 3, 2002
US
I know the 1D equation...coeff. th. exp. * delta T * L = e. I am able to do a quick check with that equation, but I want to check my FEM results with a more accurate 3D equation. Anyone know of a simplified way of checking strains in 3D?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are speaking about unconstrained thermal expansion, then in 3D every linear dimension of the object will elongate exactly with the formula for linear expansion.
However, as you mention FEM results, I suppose you have stress in your object (otherwise you would get the result with very simple hand calcs): in that case there is no general rule, only a few simple cases may be solved by analysis and you must specify all the conditions (geometry, materials, boundary). prex

Online tools for structural design

I would suggest reviewing some of the books by Timoshenko. If I remember right, for a constrained object in 3 D, the stress one would normally calculate for linear problems is multiplied by the factor ( 1/ poisson ratio ) = (1/0.35)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back