Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D to 2D for Mastercam???? DXB changes dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

spee

Mechanical
Aug 7, 2002
US
When I convert a 3D drawing in Autocad to a .DXF file for Mastercam it becomes un-readable in Mastercam. Lines are everywhere and the shape is no where to be found. Our system has no problem with a 2D conversion from Autocad to .DXF for mastercam. So then I tried to first convert to a 2D using a .DXB type file. When I open the .DXB the part looks perfect. But when I go and measure the sizes they have all changed and are no longer the proper lengths. Is there any other way I can do this??? Right now we must redraw everything back to a 2D part in order to machine.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello spee,

Once DXF file has been imported into mastercam. You now need to delete all nonessential entities. The nonessential entites are those entities that you don't want to have tool path assigned to (dimensions, title, block, front view, etc). The command structure is Main Menu>Analyze>Only>Level and the Level Selection box appears on the screen. Use the Select box and pick an entity. The Level Selection box again appears on the screen, but this time the level number should appear on the screen in the Level dialogue box. Make note of this number. Once you have noted the level on which the dimensioning resides, select OK from the Enter Level dialogue box. After selecting what entities to delete. Use this command structure Main menu>Delete>ALL>Level. Delete everything except the Top view. Now refresh the screen by choosing the repaint icon. Hope this helps - John

Mastercam can read
ASCII, STEP, DXF, IGES, Parasld, STL, VDA, SAT, DWG

John,
When I opened my .DFX file in mastercam and started deleting the extra entites, I had nothing left. It seems as though everything (titleblock, dimensions, arrows, ect) is getting converted except the actual part. The person who made these drawings is no longer with us, so this is my only place for help.

Thanks

Hello Spee,
I think these drawings have been sabotaged! The only way the actual part to disappear is that the part profile is on the same entity level as something else. Go back to ACAD and check the layer manager and layer filters to see what layer is the part profile is on. TIP: you can change a part profile layer by clicking on the line(s) and selecting what layer to switch to from in the Layer Control box on the Object Properties toolbar. Selected objects will be highlighted and select ESC to make current. Hope this helps - John

Thanks for helping me out. I am usually a solidworks guy, so this 3D Autocad is frustrating. I am still having problems. When I try to convert I highlight the part then click export as a stl. (I only have to click on a single line to highlight the whole part) Then A.C. tells me no solids have been selected. Also I can not seem to find the ASCII conversion.

The part is a made of single lines so it looks like a wire frame drawing. I cant seem to get any dimensions off of it either.

CADSTUDENT
The part disapears but all dimensions remain when I convert to dfx, not when I start deleting layers. Sorry I did not draw these parts.

DSRT
I am not sure what the original part was drawn in, but I am assuming it was done in AutoCad.

Thanks a lot for all the help

Ok I think I found my problem. I had to "explode" the drawing first.

Thanks for all the help. I am sure this was a trivial mistake, but like I said I understand solidworks better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back