Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3rd World Refugee Emergency Water Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

gayters

Civil/Environmental
Mar 24, 2004
GB
I am looking to do a preliminary design for a reservoir to supply 20,000 people with 20litres per day for 20 days in case of a "very large movement of population".

What issues do i need to consider for keeping the lagoon and local population disease free?

Also, a permanent settlement is planned at the same location in the future and there needs to be a water supply, treatment and distribution system design available for this. As such, can anyone advise me on where to find information on simple, low-tech solutions for treatment and in particular distribution. It would need to be operable and sustainable by relatively unskilled locals.

Thanks everyone, i know its an unusual one, but i hope you can help.

gayters

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For a non-permanent distribution system PE pipes with PP-compression fittings are very widely used. These fittings can be installed without tools and if needed the whole system can be disassembled and moved to another place. These type of systems are currently also being installed in some remote areas of Afghanistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back