Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel D

Aerospace
Jul 21, 2023
US
Hello All,

This is my first post on this forum.

I have a B/P that does not have a tolerance for 4 places after the decimal. (.####)
Our First Article is being rejected by Net Inspect because they want us to use ±.010
I believe this to be incorrect.

Can someone share their thoughts on this and/or provide the section of a specification that would make this tolerance of ±.010 true?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Filling in the blanks:

[ul]
[li]You have a dimension with 4 decimal places that does not have a tolerance to match.[/li]
[li]You outsourced first article to Net Inspect and they are noting that there is no tolerance in the documentation.[/li]
[li]You don't want them to use the three decimal place tolerance but don't have any other tolerance.[/li]
[/ul]

Is the above correct so far?

The specifications all say that each dimension/feature should have a tolerance associated with it. This dimension, from your description, doesn't.

If you are a contract manufacturer of someone else's design this should have been detected before accepting the work. As it is, if that is the case, you need to contact whoever is responsible for the design and ask them to make a decision.

@3DDave

• Yes
• Net Inspect is a 3rd Party First Article reviewer/approver. We submit the FAIR digitally on a website.
• Since Net Inspect is the reviewer/approver, they sometimes demand certain changes be made to the First Article Inspection Report so that they can approve the FA.

The inspector at Net Inspect said that the tolerance for 4 place decimal is found ANSI Y14.5-1982
I asked him to provide me the section where this information is stated and he told me that he does not have the spec and only knows it by memory.
I have the 1994 version and could not locate where this information is.

Thanks for your help and input.

Miguel D said:
Since Net Inspect is the reviewer/approver, they sometimes demand certain changes be made to the First Article Inspection Report so that they can approve the FA.

This just seems wrong.

The inspector has found an ambiguity in the drawing, and because of this ambiguity they cannot complete the inspection.

The next thing that needs to happen is opening a non-conformity report. Inspector's job ends here.

Company process decides what happens next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back