Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

400Hz inverter feeding 60Hz transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exocet

Electrical
Feb 7, 2002
US
Are there any risks associated with feeding a 115VAC/5VAC 400Hz transformer from a 115VAC 60Hz inverter?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ex — The subject line of your posting versus description in message body seem reversed.

{60Hz source will generally saturate iron in 400Hz transformer...leading to cooked enamel.}

Actually, I was inquiring if a 115V AC 400HZ inverter source were supplying power to a 115V/5V AC 60 HZ transformer. Would saturation occur as well in this configuration?

Thanks,

Right out of the chute, I think you'd likely be OK but let the transformer experts comment.

I’d try powering the transformer and looking at current {low-range milliamperes for excitation} and ramp up from there.

For such a small transformer I guess It should be possible without problems.

For transformers with higher rating it would be neccessary to compare iron loss for both operating conditions. But you need the data sheet of the magnetic sheets used and the number of turns to do this. For larger transformer even increased eddy current losses in the windings would have to be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back