Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

400kV circuit breeaker with capacitor in parallel to the pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratford

Electrical
Oct 3, 2005
GR
Dear all. On site we have a 400kV circuit breaker that connects our step-Up transformer high voltage to the grid substation.
The poles of the circuit breaker have in parallel connection capacitors.
Can you explain why these capacitors are installed?
I guess they are used for precharging of the breaker.
The breaker type is Magrini Galileo 420MhMe-2.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is seen in breakers with multiple breaks. If I remember right, the capacitors distribute the restriking voltage (at the time of breaker opening) across the two arcing gaps) uniformly.

There is a buyers guide for HV circuit breakers available in ABB website. I find it quite informative.

Parallel capacitors are commonly used in breakers to limit the transient recovery voltage for close in faults. Normally called TRV capacitors.

Grading capacitors on multi-breaks power circuit-breakers are a necessity to distribute the recovery voltage amoung breaks. Values are in the range of 800 to 2200 pF. Even with them, the first break (on the network side) will see 15-20% more voltage during a three-phase-to-ground fault. This is taken into account during tests.
Single-break breakers may not have a capacitor unless it is recommended by the manufacturer to limit the rate-of-rise of the transient recovery voltages during short-line fauls.

Bahram7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back