Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4080 - LASER ALRM: LASER TUBE EXHAUST - HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

filocco

Mechanical
Jul 5, 2012
AR
Hello to all my friends on the forum,

Today when I turned on the laser to reach the sequence number 17 stops longer than normal and the alarm appears 4080.

The vacuum value before starting the laser is 905, when the sequence reaches number 17 empty value reaches 270, there appears after the alarm.

What advise do?

If there is a vacuum leak, as we can detect? may be with some ultra sound device?

Is there any method or procedure to fill the system with some inert gas, such as helium, and then verify pressure leak it would be easier to vacuum leaks?

Here in Argentina we do not have people trained to do this repair, so our motto is: "repair it yourself" why ask for help!

From already thank you very much, every opinion is welcome!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Filocco,
Maybe first do an internal leak test. This will tell you if it's a leak, or the vacuum pump that is damaged. If the tube pressure remains at the same value during the leak test (around 270 in your case), then the vacuum pump is the problem. Otherwise, only pumping down to 270 would indicate a big leak. Visually look at the tubes with a flashlight and check for cracks or burnt holes. If you can't see anything visually, you could replace all the O-rings (on tubes and mirrors). But the easiest to find the leak would be to use a helium detector (if you can get one) which is present in the laser gas. You would have to increase the setting of the atmospheric pressure sensor in the resonator in order to have some positive pressure inside the tubes (be aware that the tubes cannot take too much positive pressure or they'll crack); then use the helium detector to find the leak.

Today, we perform the test of vacuum pump, the system disconnected and tested with a vacuum gauge and makes an absolute vacuum, so is ruled malfunction.
Connecting all again the value of 270 rose to 480, apparently a large leak.
I was reviewing the tubes and naked eye cracks are not observed. I will recheck com further.
The o 'rings of the tubes are not burned.
Unfortunately I have a detector Helium, going to be a big problem to find the leak.
That parameter must be changed to increase the pressure just a little gas mixture?
From already thank you for your help!

(excuse me, I'm trying to learn and clarify)

So right now there is a leak you're trying to find, you took off the vacuum pump and it has created "absolute" vacuum, but when you attached it back to the laser tube, instead of holding it at a value of 270, it is running to 480. Foostrap says that you need to adjust the atmospheric pressure sensor so that the machine will be able to create some positive pressure for you to use a helium detector (which seems to be uncommon to find) to find where the leak is on the tube.

If you don't have a helium detector, and there is a vacuum leak, is it possible to use a smoke machine to see where the leak is? I don't really understand the values of 270 and 480 when relating to atmospheric pressure, but if there is supposed to be a vacuum, then maybe vaporized glycol-based or glycerine-based "smoke" would be able to help find your leak? Foostrap, is there any other detectors that filocco can use? CO2 or Ne detectors?

To increase the internal pressure of the oscillator to a level exceeding atmospheric pressure, turn the trimmer of the atmospheric pressure sensor (installed in the pressure sensor section) clockwise by half a division (the sensor should be labeled PSW2). Be careful, too much pressure can damage tubes or turbo blower (oil gauge).
Once that is set, start the laser (Laser start), then shut it down to bring it back to sequence 10 (laser stop). Once at sequence 10, you will now have positive pressure. If you have a helium detector; great; snoop around to find the leak. Otherwise, you can spray soapy water on fittings and end of tubes to try to find the leak (watch for bubbles).

Thanks Friends, today I try! ... after I tell them how I was!

It is common to pass this type of failure, or operate something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back