Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

409 stainless steel piping 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphil

Materials
Oct 18, 2002
Hi,

I've tried to find 409 stainless steel piping for the last week. All I find is 409 tubing as per ASTM A268. But this kind of tubing is too thin for my needs. I need a 8" sch 80 409 stainless steel pipe.

I'm thinking about casting it now, does anybody knows where can I find such piping.

Phil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is rare to find 409 used in thickness over 0.060-0.070".
The mechanical properties fall off with increasing thickness. This is because it has to be cold reduced over 60% to get enough driving force for the full recrystallization which gives it a fine enough grain size not to be very lacking in toughness, hence not a favorite for much heavier in gage than exhaust pipe.

400 series alloys are subject to in-service embrittlement at high temperatures so be sure that your application is suitable and won't degrade the properties before you spend too much time looking for 409 pipe

The 475C embrittlement ( alpha prime formation) only occurs in ferritic stainless steels with more then 15% chrome. 409, with its 11%, is immune.

Thank you guys,

so I conclude that I won't find it anywhere. What I'll probably do is cast it.

I really don't need strong mechanical properties for this application, it is just a corrosion allowance to protect from a mixture of air-HCl-chlorine gas at 500 C. It is not welded, it is supported by bracket and it act as a deflector.

thanx again

Phil

P.S. Hey, and the alloy can't have any nickel (less than 0.5%) ...

Phil
Why don't you buy some sheet 409 and have it fabricated. Or get 410 which can be used in heavier gauges without these problems.

The reason why I don't fabricate it out of 409 plates is that it is very difficult to roll for 8" diameter and it is also very hard to find in thick (0.5") gage.

Thanx again

Phil

Maybe you could use some 13Cr oil country tubulars. That sounds like a common geometry for them. You may be able to get a second quality or reject ( for downhole) relatively cheaply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back