Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4160vmotor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

amper

Electrical
Oct 3, 2008
GB
can we install a 3 phase 4160v motor on 4000v source without problems any comments welcome

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

amper,

The opposite is possible.

Question please.

it looks like a NEMA motor. If it so,does the name plate say that motor rated voltage is 4160 V or 4000 V?

Generally, motor designs have a +-10% tolerance, but generallyyou see it the other way around; a motor will be designed for 4000V and connected to a 4160V source, because the lower design voltage makes allowances for some additional voltage drop when you have a long distance from the controller and the motor. If your motor is truly designed for 4160V and you truly have only a 4000V supply, then it might be OK, but you will have very little tolerance for any additional voltage drop.

So the real answer is; it depends on other factors. The best people to ask will be the motor mfr., and give them ALL of the information, i.e. motor lead length, conductor size etc.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

It depends of the load. If your load requires 100% of the motor capacity connecting on lower voltage will pull higher than rated current. If you do not require full capacity you should not have any problem with lower voltage.

This motor is a 4160V/ 60 Hz I assume? Is you supply also 60 Hz or is it 50 Hz?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

the original motor is a old hitachi unimag nema 4000v 60 hz 32,,, ampe 250ho coupling with a gould pumps 3600model 610 api .

So then was your original post a dyslexic error and you have a 4000V motor and a 4160V supply then? If you do, you are golden; this is normal.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

That is the same ratio as a 200V rated motor connected to a 208V supply

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back