420A SS heat treat and passivation question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Godby

Industrial
May 30, 2023
US
BACK STORY:

The blade has been traditionally produced using 420B (.3% carbon). Passivated to ASTM A9767-13, and HEAT TREAT AND DOUBLE TEMPER TO 50-56 Rc. AND CRYOGENIC TREAT TO -90 F OR LOWER
FOR 2 HOURS (MIN.)

420A is readily available (.2% carbon). 420B is next to impossible to find currently: how much of a variance can I expect from a .1% difference in carbon content? The customer print only says 420, so we are good there. What type of a time difference if any will there be required in heat treat?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will need a lower temper temperature to reach that hardness, and it might be a big ask for 0.2C.
If I look at the ATI datasheet I don't think that you can reach HRC50 with 0.2C.
They show 420 with 0.25C only making 48HRC with a 400F temper.
What is your process sequence?
Aust and quench, temper, cryo, temper, passivate?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

lower hardening temperature by 50F (from 1900F to 1850F, temper at 400F yield a min of 50HRC, temper at 300F yields a min 53HRC. Lower carbon in 420A asks for a lower hardening temperature because it
decreases the α → γ transformation temp, lower temp also limits austenite grain growth. In hte meanwhile, the martensite transformation temp will increase, you may be able to eliminate the subzero cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back