Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

440C DFAR 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgallup

Automotive
May 9, 2003
US
I've seen numerous online listing for 440C stainless steel products such as ball bearings as "440 DFAR" but no explanation as to what the DFAR stands for. I know that it is NOT referring to the Defense Acquisition Regulations System. I also know that this steel is air melted, not vacuum melted. I'm pretty sure it's indicating something to do with the production process but my Google Fu must be weak, I can't find an explanation.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is a meaning of DFAR but not how it's being used by these suppliers. They are contrasting DFAR with VIM/VAR production methods but they never define DFAR.

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

I would stay well away from people using that description.
This is what happens when people cut and paste others web sites.
I have never seen DFAR used related to melting or any other alloy processing.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Interesting, maybe the people writing web pages are just clueless.

Somehow it's filtered into our purchasing group and they have started referring to "the DFAR material" like it's a manufacturing process. I try to keep them on the straight and narrow but it's like herding cats.

maybe the people writing web pages are just clueless.

Fixed it for you ;-)

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

DFARS does tell something: produced in the USA or qualifying country to satisfy Defense.
It has nothing to do with melting or manufacturing process. Driven by applications, 440C can be melted with Arc+AOD+concast, Arc+AOD+static, Arc+VAR, ARc+ESR, VIM+VAR, and even Air Induct/VIM+gas atomization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back