Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4R55E Tranny / Repair SS2 valve or purchase rebuilt ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

naturlm

Chemical
Feb 23, 2005
US

Bluegrass1: (in Engine & Fuel Enginnering Forum)

Great response !

I now much better understand the mechanism of the control and diagnostic system and what is giving me the delayed 1-2 upshift and also then setting off the 646 error code in my 2wd 95 Explorer 4R55E transmission. Re if its electricial or mechanical problem, I note my vehicles computer is also set up to issue an error code 622 if the SS2 solenoid circuit fails to provide the proper voltage drop across the solenoid. I am not getting the code 622, so I think the electrical signal to the solenoid coil is likely OK and solenoid coil is OK, but I am guessing the solenoid is not moving because the solenoid piston or valve is mechanically stuck in place in its casing and will not move. Does this make sense ? To find out for sure, I guess for sure the tranny pan needs to be dropped/removed and the actual valve mechanism examined / cleaned to be sure SS2 piston/valve is free to move.

The tranny had 150,000 trouble free miles on it until this problem occured. About 7500 miles of the last 50,000 miles involved involved towing a 3300 lb boat/trailor combo. Per my owners manual, this tow weight is about right at the max tow weight Ford recommends for my tranny and axle ratio.

The tranny shop mechanics I have talked to say I am very lucky this particuliar model tranny lasted this long, and it is very likely that other than this specific current SS2 solenoid or valve problem, the whole control valve assembly has several worn internal valve parts, worn valve casing parts, deteriating valve rubber O rings and seals etc......... all of which could give me trouble in next 10,000 plus miles if I keep this vehicle. Anyone agree or disagree ?

So ......., maybe I should listen to the techs and shops, and put in a rebuilt tranny to renew all the worn parts at this point, with the idea I will keep the vehicle another 5 years plus to get my money out of the rebuilt tranny.

I have found a rebuilt or remanufactured tranny at an out of state tranny repair shop. Seller says it was rebuilt by Ford's inhouse rebuilder, Fred Jones Enterprises. Seller says he can let me have it at a good price with a 12,000 mile warranty because he got it at a good price from a Ford dealer who was going out of business. I am thinking maybe this is best way to go, especially if the rebuild was done by Fred Jones.

Wondering if there is someway I can easily verify this rebuilt is actually is a Fred Jones rebuild by looking at the tranny ? Are they special stamped some way or tagged some way ? Guess I should contact Fred Jones to find out.

Note: Parts of this particuliar post, at least those parts asking for comments on long term wear/reliability at 150,000 miles etc. belongs over in the driveline forum. So I will post it there also.

Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Modistran was correct. Problem turned out to be a broken intermediate band. I purchased a rebuilt tranny from Roadmaster and its working OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back