Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4th Axis Machining Geometry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siress

Industrial
Jan 11, 2006
US
Hello all,

I am trying to model a rather complicated part exactly as it should be produced. Imagine an hour glass shaped cylinder that is machined via 4th axis with a sine wave. I can easily make this cut on a surface, but the new surfaces formed are what trouble me. I have tried surface lofts, but I lose the control of the geometry that I need. Basically, what command options do I have to make these new surfaces accurately (accounting for the geometry of the cutting tool)? If I could do a swept cut that somehow stayed perpendicular to my rotational axis, that would be great; but I don't know how to make this happen.

Thanks!
Siress

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, TheTick:

I took a look at the model you created. How do you know that the ruled surface created based on the 3D sketch (on surface spline) is normal to the cylinderical surface?

Best regards,

Alex

How do you know that the ruled surface created based on the 3D sketch (on surface spline) is normal to the cylinderical surface?
That is how the ruled surface is defined. Check the options when creating the ruled surface. (I don't think it can be changed after creating.)

Hi, TheTick:

Thanks for the quick reply! My point is that the ruled surface has not knowledge of the cylinderical surface. When you created the ruled surface, you did not pick the surface. You only pick the 3D sketch.

Best regards,

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back