Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

5-6 GHz Rain Fade for Link Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueandwhiteg3

Computer
Nov 22, 2008
US
Can anybody refer me to a good resource for rain fade / weather-related signal losses in the 5-6 GHz band when doing point-to-point terrestrial links?

I have lots of resources for higher microwave bands, but very few for the 5-6 GHz band. I want to look at designing a link in these bands, but I just can't find any hard data.

Sure, I can add 20 dB, or 30 dB, but I really would like to look at some hard data so I can make and informed decisions, and so I can set the fade margins relative to the link length, rather than arbitrarily.

Since rain fade is not nearly as large an issue in the 5-6 GHz band, nobody seems to really pay much attention. Everybody I've talked with to date has no hard data, unlike I have seen for higher microwave frequencies. It's disturbing watching people setup lots of links like this with no real analytical idea about the reliability in inclement weather.

Some of these resources assume based on geography. Let's talk about the Portland, OR area if we must. However, there are pockets near this area which get appreciably more rain or snow, so those numbers may not be high enough, but at least they're a starting point.

What I'd ideally like is an indication, as a chart or other, that tells me the dB fade margin per km or mile and the resulting link reliability.

Ideas or resources anybody?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back