5 conductors per phase parallel run 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD88

Electrical
Mar 5, 2020
CA
Hello,

I've got a 2500A, 600V run to put in, and I'd like to use 15x1c-350MCM 100% spaced as per CEC Table 1 (Canadian project). My question is what would be the optimal conductor and phasing arrangement to minimize the inductive reactance differences. Any tips or references would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are these in 5 conduits - I'm not Canadian? As long as you are running three phase conductors (ABC) in each conduit, there should minimal inductive interaction between conduits. A bigger issue might be mutual (thermal) heating of conductors.

No, not in conduits - specifically for the thermal reasons you mentioned. The intent would be to use cable tray and/or maple spacer blocks to maintain 100%+ spacing around the cables in order to use the free air rating of the single conductors.

As a single layer you'd want A-B-C-A-B-C-etc. and not something like A-A-A-A-A-B-B-etc.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

Maybe you're overthinking this?

These thirty 400MCM cables were jammed into five PVC conduits buried in dirt out to a 1.5 megawatt Cat generator.

Generator_Cables2_gji5r4.jpg
URL]

Keith Cress
kcress -

Yeah, I don’t want to trefoil, just because I’d need to up the cabling. I’m thinking

ABCCBA
ABCCBA
ABC

for the 15 conductors, using maple blocks to maintain 100% space.. any comments on that?

Dear Me. MD88 (Electrical)(OP)21 Jan 23 21:17
"....Yeah, I don’t want to trefoil, just because I’d need to up the cabling. I’m thinking ABCCBA ,ABCCBA , ABC ..."
1. I am of the opinion as advised by learned Mr. davidbeach (Electrical)20 Jan 23 22:45
" As a single layer you'd want A-B-C-A-B-C-etc. and not something like A-A-A-A-A-B-B-etc.". The major disadvantage is the distance d =dia. d of each cable, it takes up a wide width. It would be undesirable if d=2dia. d . Of cause you can have multiple layers.
2. Re-consider have it in trefoil formation ABC - d- ABC- d-etc where d-1x ABC dia or 2x ABC dia. - Unless this trefoil formation is under rated for your application, it can be a good proposition; as it needs a smaller duct/less cost and room.
BTW: In LV where large no. of parallel cables, trefoiled formation method is widely practised.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

@ "... Mr. unclebob (Electrical)22 Jan 23 03:36
A_B_C_A_B_C_N_N
_C_A_B_C_A_B_N_N
A_B_C_N
That looks good? Found that too.....
"

I am confuse. If [3x (3ph+N) = 12 ], [ 4 x (3-ph+N] = 16 } . Both cases do NOT indicate 15.
I am thinking it is [5 x (3-ph) = 15 ], i.e. No N.
Singapore (Singapore)

You can calculate the reactance by phase for different spacings using equations for parallel three-phase circuits. We designed an installation of 4 kV cable bus which included changing the phase arrangements of an existing cable bus system and installing a parallel cable bus system. Each had 4-750 kcmil copper cables per phase and was 700-800 ft long. Cable spacing was 3.2" inches vertical and 3" horizontal. The existing system had the arrangement:

A A B B C C
A A B B C C

Calculate reactance was 0.0318 ohm/1000 ft for each phase

Changing the phase arrangement to

A C C C A A
B A B B C B

had calculated average reactance of 0.0142 ohm/1000 ft

Changing the phase arrangement to

A C B B C A
A C B B C A

had calculated average reactance of 0.0178 ohm/1000 ft

If you purchase a cable bus system, the supplier can optimize phasing arrangements for lowest reactance and phase current balance. See
In our project, we purchased the cable bus from MPHusky and used their recommended phasing arrangement, matching the last arrangement above. MPHusky's calculate reactance was 0.0172 ohm/1000 ft

I don't know what CEC says. However, NEC art.392.80 allows, for single core cables installed in triangular or square with a maintained free airspace of not less than 2.15 times one conductor, for 350 mcm copper 90oC insulated [EPR or XLPE] 464 A .For 5 parallel conductor it is not enough [it is less than 2500 A]. But 400 mcm it is better[503 A].
If the cables will be installed in single lay close each-other the phase order has to be ABCCBA...See:
for instance:
However, according to NEC art. 392.80 A 2b and Tb 310.15(B)(17) the ampacity it is only 370.5 for 350 mcm copper.
Another limitation:
According to Art. NEC 110.14 Electrical Connections.(A) Terminals.(1) Equipment Provisions.
unless the equipment is listed and marked otherwise[that means 90oC],(b) Termination provisions of equipment for circuits for 350 mcm permissible will be only 335 A. for 75oC [Tb 310.15(B)(16) ]

five conductors per phase in a parallel run, it means that each phase of the three-phase system is transmitted through five electrical wires, with each wire carrying a portion of the electrical load.

Having multiple conductors per phase in a parallel run provides several benefits, including:

Increased reliability: With multiple conductors, there is a reduced risk of power failure in the event of a conductor failure.

Improved power transmission efficiency: Multiple conductors can reduce electrical losses, improve voltage regulation, and provide more stable power transmission.

Increased capacity: Multiple conductors per phase allow for a larger amount of electrical power to be transmitted.

It's important to note that the number of conductors per phase in a parallel run may vary based on the specific requirements and conditions of each application, including the available space, budget, safety concerns, and electrical power requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back