Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

5-year-old Broward County, Florida Courthouse has floors evacuated due to cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hehehehehhe...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Photos of the cracks
Screenshot_from_2023-01-24_18-24-36_beqfmq.png

source Among other things rebar corrosion is likely, the cracks look more open on the top side.

Here's a more distant view of that area with the cracking:

It looks like the cracks are in the beams that support the outer edge of the top of the building.

I think that the reason they are not worried about the workers on the lower floors is that, by the time the concrete pieces have fallen that far, they will be mostly clear of the building. The pieces will likely then just fall past the windows on their way down.

My theory will be confirmed if they put up barricades around the base of the building to keep pedestrians away.

spsalso

I cannot tell what its supporting... looks like self weight only... and not heavily loaded.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Stating the obvious: the outer "decorative trim" is being suspended on the end of a cantilever beam.

Ignore the metal grill work.

spsalso

Just speculation, but the beam may have been broken during construction. Maybe they used it for hoisting other stuff? Is it just one beam, or more? Correction: there are at least two, from the photos above.

What I find impressive as all Hell is that the concrete grid in dold's picture has no support columns for the entire interior of the grid. THAT is some pretty impressive design, I do think!

I can only wonder what their bridge designs look like.

spsalso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back