Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

.500 Steel on AMADA FO3015?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaserSpyder

Materials
Jun 4, 2014
US
can anyone help me out with cutting conditions for .500 steel im having a hard time getting a clean cut????????
Thank yall[afro]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your getting a lot of heat build up there Fabpro. I'd say you need to increase your assist gas and lower the feed rate a bit. It's just a matter of getting a scrap piece and dialing in what works foor your machine. Cause what works on LaserSpyder's machine may differ from yours. You don't look to far off where you need to be.

If you ask me to do something, I will do it. There's no need to nag me every 6 months

Looks more like a nozzle alignment issue to me the heat is all on one side of the piece. I always use the smallest nozzle available to do my beam alignment when cutting mild steel

I don't think nozzle centering is the issue but it of course should always be checked when having troubles.

Looks to me like it is getting too hot. Also the nozzle might be pulling away from the work, changing the focus. This sometimes happens as a product of other parameters being off. If anything the feed rate may be too slow, causing the excessive heat.

We can be far more helpful if you share your current parameters. Do you have an additional lens you can try to eliminate it as a problem?

Jetrep - I did try a brand new lens and got the exact same result.

I am currently cutting at about 43 in/min.

I created a new grid for that part that skips around the sheet to keep from getting too hot, which has worked in the past. But without the first few parts cutting well, I can't rely on the grid to do anything other than mess up a bunch of good material.

Laserspyder - When you use the woodpecker pierce (A7) how many pierces or "zaps" for lack of a better word do you use?

I will take a picture and post the current parameters soon.

LaserSpyder - Disregard the other cut conditions. Currently only using E4 for these parts. I started from scratch this time around playing with the settings. What you are seeing is a copy from one of my other cut conditions for thinner material

Your nozzle gap at .060" seems high. Our documentation suggests .030"

The parameters I have straight from Amada for an Fo3015NT 4kW laser:
55"/min (I'd stick with 40"/min for now)
4000 watts
2000Hz freq
100% duty
.08 gas
.030 nozzle gap
.040" focus

Jetrep - I will give those settings a go tomorrow. I had raised the nozzle gap based on responses in another thread.

If what was being said earlier about the cut from @thelaserburns was true, "Looks like too much heat"

--Increasing to 4kw , 2000 Hz, and 100% duty would in fact increase the amount of heat being put into the material?

This is also extremely weird. I will post a picture in the AM, but I had sheared off the used portion of the sheet and the cut looks almost perfect.

I was simply sharing the info I have from my Amada notes. I don't know how much success you may have with those settings. Your straight cut looks decent but straight cuts are easier than more realistic features where the effective feed rate is constantly changing and approach data is changing things in corners.

Having the nozzle gap that large makes the head a bit more likely to rise further from the sheet. once that happens it doesn't typically come back down and your cut goes bad or it loses the cut all together.

my cutting conditions are .....FEED RATE.40. POWER.3700 FREQ.1500 DUTY.100 GAS PRESS.0.10 GAS tIME.2.0 NOZZLE GAP.0.0300 FOCAL INCH-0.098
and my material info is set to STD
these should get you at least going in the right direction hope it helps [2thumbsup]

Sorry to intrude, but being this side of the pond. What conversion would you use when your feedrate is .40 for example. On my parameters I have feed rates of 3000, 4000 for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back