Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

500kV Steel Lattice Tower Cost Estimate 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ataha

Electrical
Apr 16, 2009
US
Iam working on a 500kV Transmission Line Project and would like to get the budgetory estimate for the 500kV Steel Lattice Structures (manufacture, Installation, Testing). Iam having difficulty finding manufacturers in USA.
Please give me names of some companies which make steel lattice towers for 500kV.
Regards
Taha

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The voltage has no bearing on the price other than the phase separation and the height above other structures. Once the spacing and alignment is determined, the weight of the conductor, (and ice loads and wind loads), and the location of dead end horizontal resisting structure then a preliminary design can be established. From the preliminary design an estimate can be made.

Maximum ice accumulation=15-20(mm)
Average wind speed , 15 m above ground =25-35 (m/s)
Weight of the Chukar ACSR Aluminum conductor =2975 Lbs/1000ft

Typically estimates from the previous preliminary studies for the transmission line.
S.No Structure Type Weight Installed Cost/Mile
1 SS Lattice Flat 45,000 $402,000
2 SS Lattice Delta 47,250 $411,000

How close are these number correct.
Can you please help?

Regards

I think there a need to analyze and design both tower types to determine which is cheaper.There are lots of factors affecting the cost of tower. One factor is the design method (ASD or LRFD) you use.The type of conductor you use will also affect the cost of your structure.

Average wind speed means your design will survive average wind. What about extreme wind conditions that occur occasionally? Try ASCE 7 wind speed map.

SAE Towers in Houston has the capabilities to do a 500 kv project as do several other companies like:
Burns and McDonnell
Black and Veatch
Power Engineers
and many others.

Hello, I am also looking for answers to similar problem. I've made a table and would appreciate if anyone is able to provide accurate findings on the element listed on the chart.

Lattice Steel Towers (LST)
Tubular Steel Poles (TSP)

Type Voltage Ckt Manufacturer Cost
LST 500kV single
LST 220KV single
TSP 500kV single
TSP 220kV single
LST 500kV double
LST 220KV double
TSP 500kV double
TSP 220kV double

Status