5083 5086 Aluminum 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

raptor2

Aerospace
Nov 23, 2003
US
Hello
I have been in the aerospce business for @ 15 years. At times I come across blueprints that call for 5083 or 5086 aluminum. While investigating these I found that the stuff is hard to come by. Also the prints that call this out seem to all be from the 1980's. Has a different aluminum taken it's place and if so is there a mil spec to referance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chuck

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

raptor2,

According to my Atlas Alloys handbook, Aluminium 5083 is the highest strength aluminium there is in the annealed condition. It is also very resistant to corrosion. The last time I specified this material, I was told it was "shipping plate". Obviously, it is the best aluminium grade for welding ships together. You might investigate a marine supplier.

6061 probabaly is not a good substitute for 5083 because it is much harder to bend, it is weaker in the as-welded state, and it is not as corrostion resistant. 5052 is popular with sheet metal shops. Perhaps you should consider that.

Is this stuff being used for the airframe, or for something mounted inside the aircraft? I thought they used 2024 for airframe.

JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back