Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

50Hz/60Hz motor issues 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hennessy

Electrical
Nov 16, 2004
FR
Hi, I have bought a Wagner Paint Sprayer model 4566 with a 2/3hp electric motor(made by Emerson I think). It was bought in America so was made to run from 115 volts, 60Hz. I am now trying to use the unit in Europe with a 230/115 volt heavy duty transformer. The european electricity supply is however 50Hz. However the unit is overheating and trips out after a few minutes. Wagner say this is because of the cycle difference but this has never caused me any problems before with American motors in Europe. Does anyone have any experience of this or does anybody know of a 220 Volt motor for this machine as Wagner are completely clueless about it. As I understand the motor will run a little slower at 50Hz but that should not cause it to overheat with no load so soon. Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most probably the centrifugal switch is not openning the starting circuit because your speed is only 83% of the design at 60 HZ. Under this condition the overcurrent protection trips the motor off line.

aolakle.. That's a good suggestion but it doesn't account for the excess heat.

I run a lot of 60hz motors on 50 hz without a problem.

Does the motor have a brake built in?

Is this the kind that starts and stops a lot? It may have to do with the transformer. Just how big is it? The motor would draw a lot more at startup so it may be suffering from an extreme voltage sag. Or, it may have too much voltage. At 50hz and the full rated voltage, the magnetic core will saturate. This turns the motor into just a big resistor. Try using a buck transformer to reduce the voltage to 100V. Worth a try.

I agree with Aolalde... If the start windings do not pull out with the centrifugal switch opening ... the motor WILL get hot very fast!

Hennessy, you can try two options...

Remove the centrifugal switch springs and carefully insert a screwdriver between one coil on each spring in order to bend open a single turn. Assemble and test the motor. You should not have to do it more than three times.

And/Or..

Examine the RUN windings and see if they are in PARALLEL. If so you can connect them SERIES for 220 volts!

Both of these things a good electric motor shop can do for you.

Thank you for the advice. It is a single phase motor, I have no idea if it has a brake or not, it should run continously at 1725 rpm I think and I am using a 3000kva transformer which is more than big enough for this motor. Hennessy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back